14. i shall believe

Tree Hill, 2003

 Tree Hill, 2003.

Peyton and Brooke rushed into Emma's room after Peyton received a call from Haley. Peyton explained that Lucas and Ethan had been in a car accident. Peyton was going to take the girls to the hospital.

Emma hated hospitals, as did her sister Peyton. The girls still didn't know the extent of the boys' injuries and hoped that they were all right. Brooke got out of the car and was walking towards the hospital, Emma noticed that Peyton hadn't gotten out of the car.

"Aren't you coming, Peyton?" Emma asked her sister, who just shook her head.

"Emm's!" Emma heard Brooke call out, and went over to the girl.

Brooke was nervously fearing the worst, with tears rolling down her face, when the girls spotted Keith, Brooke ran over to the man who was talking to someone. Brooke was fumbling with  words, explaining that Lucas would see her later while Karen looked on in confusion. When Emma came closer, Brooke quickly grabbed the girl's hand, seeking comfort.

"Hey, Mr. Scott." Emma spoke quietly, holding back tears without knowing how Ethan was doing.

"Oh, please, just Keith. Mr. Scott is what people call Dan." Keith said.

"How are you?" Emma asked, seeing that Keith had a cut on his eyebrow and looked like he needed a rest. The man must have been a nervous wreck.

"Ah, I was lucky. A concussion and a cut." Keith explained. "Ethan's finishing some tests, he seems to be awake. Lucas is the worst off." Keith told Emma, and before Karen could talk to the girls, a nurse called Ethan and Lucas' parents.

The girls moved apart to give each other some privacy, Emma hugging Brooke as she fussed with her friend's hair.

"They're going to be fine, Brooke." Emma said, hoping that her words were really true.

The girls stayed in reception, while Keith and Karen were released to see the boys.

Keith went to see Luke first, who had left the surgery, as Karen had gone to sort something out. When Karen returned, she looked at Keith and asked him if he'd been drinking before driving. Keith tried to explain that he wasn't drunk, but Karen didn't look at him the same way anymore. As soon as Keith left Lucas's room, he went to Ethan, who was arguing with at least two nurses, saying that he was fine.

"Ethan." Keith caught the boy's eye and he quickly stopped, the nurses leaving them alone.

"They need you to stay under observation, son. Please, it's only for one night." Ethan snorted.

"I'm fine, okay?" Ethan grumbled.

"No, it's not okay. Do you realize how lucky you were?" Keith asked the boy. "Your belt almost broke completely, and by some miracle you didn't break all of your bones, or need to have surgery." Ethan lowered his head. "Ethan, you had a muscle strain in your right arm, a concussion and minor cuts. It's a miracle nothing worse happened." Keith explained.