16. the lonesome road

Tree Hill

Tree Hill

(based on season 2)

Emma tried to reach Ethan, but the boy wouldn't answer his cell phone. When Luke showed up at the Sawyer sisters' house to take Peyton, Jake and Jenny to Nathan's house, he left on a road trip, leaving Jake to hide out at Nate's house.

Emma asked Luke if he knew where Ethan was, and that's when Luke told her that Keith had left, leaving Ethan behind.

Emma had already been to Ethan's house, Karen's house, Karen's café, and had called the boy at least five times. Emma then went to the spot on the bridge where they usually met.

Emma saw Ethan sitting where they always sit, in absolute silence. The Sawyer girl noticed that he was smoking, so she slowly approached Ethan. Remaining silent, Ethan didn't break the silence for several long minutes.

Ethan had slept no more than two hours, the boy had fallen asleep on the floor against the wall near the front door of the house. The boy had woken up hoping it was a bad dream, but when he woke up the nightmare was still real. Ethan called his father and left several messages on his voicemail.

Ethan began to feel suffocated in that house, and not wanting to go to school, he came to his spot on the bridge. Ethan noticed when Emma sat next to him in silence, but the boy was too tired to elaborate on his thoughts.

Ethan needs to go to Dan's dealership, the boy needs some answers.

"Emm's, can you come with me to Dan's dealership?" Ethan muttered.

Emma thought it was strange that the boy wanted to go to Dan, and Emma just hoped that Ethan wouldn't end up physically fighting with Dan.

"Of course."

[....]

Ethan said that he would go into Dan's office alone, but asked Emma to wait for him outside Dan's office. Emma had no idea what was going on in the boy's head.

Ethan knocked on Dan's door, seeing the man sitting in his chair. Dan looked in the boy's direction, seeing the deep circles around the boy's eyes. Ethan didn't wait for Dan to call him into his office, the blond boy just closed the door and leaned against it.

"I need you to tell me the name of my birth mother." Those were the words Ethan said, the boy didn't ask if Dan knew her, if Dan knew who she was.

"Keith never told you?" Dan asked.

Ethan rubbed his face.