20. what is and what should never be

Tree Hill, 2003

Tree Hill, 2003

Emma and Ethan were holding hands walking through the school corridors alongside Peyton, who was talking about a new song she had heard. When Haley appeared next to the three teenagers, drawing their attention.

"Hey, Hales." Ethan said, looking at the girl.

"Hey, guys. So, uhu, Nathan and I are having a little thing at his place on Saturday." Haley told the girls.

"Haley James, party girl!" Peyton joked with the girl.

"Yeah, it's not going to be that big a deal." Haley said.

Emma, Ethan and Peyton exchanged a quick glance. The three of them thought that Haley's realization must not have sunk in yet. She was dating the star athlete of the basketball team, Nathan is extremely popular. Whether Haley planned it or not, the party was going to be big.

"But, Nathan said I could invite however I want. So do you two want to come?" Haley asked, pointing at Peyton and Ethan.

The three of them looked at each other, reluctant to answer, Haley laughed.

"Emma, Nathan demand that I invite you. He said and I quote: "Don't forget to say to Emma that her presence is required." Haley said laughing.

"Nice of him for not forgetting his bestie." Emma said with a huge smile.

"Sure, Hales. Count us in." Peyton said.

[....]

Another day, another drama.

Ethan was lying on the sofa in the living room watching his father try on a suit, when Keith was checking himself in the mirror, Ethan left a giggle scape.

"What's so funny, Ethan?" Keith asked the boy.

"You look funny, dad." Ethan said.

"Are you high?" Keith turned to his son.

"No." Ethan said, sitting down.

"Yeah, not my usual look. I feel a little funny." Keith joked with the boy.

"Who's high now, dad?" Keith threw a pen he'd found on the shelf in the boy's direction.

Ethan dodged the pen, laughing at his father, and took the opportunity to open the door he had just heard banging on. Lucas entered, and Keith went to greet the boy.