Can you read to me?

February 8th
I'm not going anywhere

••••••

"Can't you just eat something Lu?"

"I feel sick."

Susan sighed. "Because you're not eating." She told her sister. "You're not gonna make yourself feel any better if you don't eat."

Lucy stared at her for ages, before slowly shaking her head. "I'd rather not throw up again." She responded, turning her head away.

Susan sighed again and placed the bowl of soup on the bedside table. "Look, if you're not going to eat now then promise me you'll eat at dinner?" She said, trying to compromise.

Lucy hesitated, but she eventually nodded. "I'll see how I feel." She said.

Susan bit her lip, it wasn't what she was looking for exactly, but it would do.

"You want your book?" Susan asked, heading over to the bookshelf. "I've got quite a bit of homework to do."

Lucy stared at the book as Susan handed it to her, before swallowing hard and shaking her head.

Susan frowned a little, knowing Lucy enjoyed reading when she was ill, she said it distracted her from how she was feeling.

"You don't want to read?" She murmured.

"I've read it before anyway." Lucy whispered.

Susan nodded slowly. "Well there's a bunch of other books on this shelf," She said. "I bet you haven't read them all."

"Can you read to me?"

Susan stopped what she was doing and blinked at her sister. "You want me to read to you?" She asked - she hadn't done that in a while.

Lucy nodded. "Please, just - stay." She whispered.

At that moment Susan didn't care about the pile of homework waiting for her downstairs, and she immediately walked over, book in hand, and climbed into bed beside her sister. "I'm not going anywhere." She told her. "Now come on, this book okay?"

Lucy nodded, and with a smile Susan flicked to the first page.

•••••••••