Chapter One Hundred & Eleven: Saying Goodbye

19th of May 1537 - Palace of Beaulieu

Taking a deep breath as he looked out across the gardens where his children played, the Duke of Bedford could not imagine a more peaceful place in the world and nowhere that he would rather be especially with the chaotic nature of the court. 

Despite Anne's most recent victory in giving her husband a second son, securing her position even further it seemed that Henry would never be faithful as it was rumoured that Anne Basset was now his mistress. 

However, unlike the Seymour affair it was being handled very discretely and Henry was still lavishing Anne publicly with affection leaving no cause to doubt the royal marriage. 

Contessina was five years old now, growing more beautiful each day and was receiving an education fitting of her station and Clarice was making sure of that. 

Filiberta was three year old, following in the heels of her older sister being taught in French, Latin and Italian as they grew up and prepared for their future roles. 

William was two, his lessons only just beginning and George had no doubts that his only son would make a fine courtier to his cousin when the time came. 

He could only imagine what their fourth child would be like, he prayed daily that all would be well and he visited Clarice in her confinement; he wished that he could support her while she laboured with their fourth child. 

Six years of marriage had been fruitful indeed and George did not care either way on what the child would be; he knew that his father prayed for another son no matter what. 

The Duke of Wiltshire spent more time at his country estates these days, having retired from court and wanting to enjoy some sort of peace and quiet away from all the drama of court. 

Not that Elizabeth Boleyn would complain about having her husband home, she was thankful that their time at court was done although she would visit often to see Anne and her grandchildren. 

"Your Grace," a servant called snapping George from his thoughts, he turned away from where the children were playing in the gardens and faced the man that was hurrying towards him. 

The warm weather offering a perfect distraction and George was reminded of the games that he and his sisters had played in the gardens of Hever when they had been children before his sisters had been sent away for their education. 

"Her Grace has been safely delivered of a daughter," the servant informed George, bowing his head knowing that a third daughter would not be frowned upon by the Duke; no doubt there would be some sort of celebration that evening. 

George couldn't help but smile at the news, another beautiful and intelligent daughter was not something to be saddened about; no doubt like her older sisters, she would make a fine match for a gentleman of the court one day. 

"How is Her Grace?" George asked after his wife, knowing that a fourth labour would have been tiring for her; he prayed that all had gone well this time. Contessina, Filiberta and William were wonderful and he knew that Clarice had taken her time recovering from each of their labours; he wanted nothing more than to be by her side as soon as possible. 

"Her Grace is recovering well," his servant said knowing that the best of care was being given to the Duchess of Bedford after the birth of her third daughter and no doubts that the Duke would make a visit soon enough. 

George smiled at that, his eyes casting towards his children and he dismissed the servant with the intention to visit Clarice shortly giving her ladies time to clean her up. 

Their third daughter would be Piccarda Boleyn, the name of Clarice's great, great, great grandmother; the he daughter of Edoardo Bueri, a member of a family of ancient lineage from Florence with economic interests in other cities.