Chapter Sixty-Five: Pressure

19th of December 1534 - Hampton Court Palace

"There should be grand celebrations for the birth of the Duke of York," Thomas Boleyn insisted convinced that this time Anne would get it right and give the King a second son; the line of succession was in desperate need of more heirs. 

Alexander and Elizabeth had proved healthy children but Thomas was convinced that his daughter could do it again especially after her failure earlier in the year. 

The King had already ordered that the boy would be called Edward after his great grandfather, Edward IV; he would be certainly pleased when he was informed that Anne had done her duty while he was away on campaign. 

Though they had heard little about anything that was happening with the march, the army was traveling through France as best they could considering the appalling weather that they were dealing with. 

"That we agree on, Your Grace. But do not forget we have already raised taxes for the war, the common folk will not accept further rises to pay for such celebrations," Cromwell replied shifting through the paperwork that lay in front of them. 

Money was needed to keep the army going and there was no end in sight right now, they could not even be sure that fighting had begun instead they would be expected to wait until news reached them. 

From what Cromwell recalled of the plans, they would head for Milan first then onto Florence before attempting to take the Kingdom of Naples; they had to move carefully lest the Emperor be informed of their plans. 

They could hold off the ambassadors for now, especially with the Queen now entering her confinement; many had already expected a subdued celebration this year without her or her ladies. 

"The people shall be joyous at the news of the birth of a Prince, a son that will secure the Tudor line even more than it was before," Thomas argued not caring, the celebrations would have to be grand just as they had been when Alexander had been born. 

The celebrations had been muted for the birth of Elizabeth but she had been no less welcomed when the King had accepted that he had a healthy daughter with his true Queen.

Anne had done well especially considering she had nearly given her husband a child for each year that they had been married, each of her children had been healthy and their Governess assured them that they were well behaved. 

It was everything that had been promised by Anne and more, she had sworn to Henry that she would give him a son and she had done that; she had ensured that the Tudor line would not end with her husband. 

"Perhaps we could provide celebrations that won't hurt our already stretched finances," Norfolk mused sitting back in his chair, trying to find the middle ground when things were likely going to get worse. 

This could drag on for months and they could not spend the entire time arguing between themselves, the King would surely reward those of them that provided such good services to his country while he was away. 

"We could light bonfires, order the churches to say mass for the boy," Norfolk continued, they would not be forgiven if they broke the bank when it came to celebrations; the King had left no instructions on what they should do for when his son was born. 

Other than the name that had been decided, nothing else was prepared for the birth of the child; Anne was in-charge of her chambers that had been set up just as they had been when Alexander and Elizabeth were born. 

"Perhaps even fire the cannons at the Tower," the Earl of Sussex agreed, while it would be a good thing to be wary of their spends it could not be said that they were not welcoming to the child.