Chapter Seventy-Three: The Spanish Forces

18th of February 1535 - Bar-le-Duc

Standing on the steps of her home, Renée of Bourbon could not help but frown as her eyes focused on the approaching carriage that held the charge that her husband had sent from the front line to her care. 

The Duchess of Lorraine knew it was a great honour that King Francis was entrusting their family with such a task, the niece of the Emperor had no place in a war camp and she had been sent here for that reason. 

As a hostage taken during the Battle of Milan, Christina of Denmark was an important hostage and could not be allowed to slip through their fingers. 

Every care had been taken to ensure the alliance remained undetected but they all knew that the fall of Milan to the alliance would reach the Emperor sooner or later. 

Squaring her shoulders, Renée of Bourbon tried to ease her thoughts and prepare herself for what was to come; from what she had been told in her husband's letter, Christina was a handful. 

There were several guards in the company of the carriage and from what Renée had been told, she had attempted to escape from the guards including attacking several of them. 

Once the carriage had pulled to a stop, guards moving forward to open the carriage doors before allowing Christina of Denmark to step out and down the steps onto the carriage driveway. 

Her long black dress seeming far too big for her and the dark colouring making her look paler than was necessary; she was clearly dressed in mourning for her late husband. 

"Welcome to Bar-le-Duc, Your Grace," Renée of Bourbon greeted stepping forward, her eyes tracing over the young girl that looked nothing more than a child compared to what she had expected. 

There was no way that she was with child, the Duke of Milan would have been a fool to try and get a child from a young bride; there were too many stories of it ending badly. 

Alas it was her King's order that Christina was to be watched carefully for any sign that she might be with child, a child that would have a claim to the throne of Milan that might be a contender for the French hold.

"I am Renée of Bourbon, the Duchess of Lorraine," she continued ignoring the disgusted look on Christina's face that appeared when she learnt that she was from the house of Bourbon. 

It would not do her any good to start trouble especially when the girl was clearly ready to hold a grudge especially after all that she had been through. 

"And this is my son, Francis," Renée stated moving to look at her eldest boy, he was her pride and joy; she had been blessed with him nearly a year into her marriage and had never looked back. 

In the twenty years that she had been married, she had been blessed with three healthy children; Francis, Anna and Nicolas had all survived their infancy. 

Her youngest three had all been taken from her too soon, Jean, Antoine and Elisabeth had not made it past the age of six years old. 

"Welcome to our home," Francis greeted with a slight bow, a kind smile that made Christina's stomach twist a little and she could not take her eyes away from him. 

Francis straightened back up and glanced at Christina, taking in her wary appearance and had no doubts that the trip had been an exhausting one. 

"We have a room all set up for you, I have assigned some of my ladies to serve you and I am sure you would like to clean up before dinner," Renée stated breaking the silence. 

She did not miss the look that Christina gave her son and she would not allow the girl to get any ideas, she had been given instructions by her husband in how to deal with Christina.