Chapter Eleven: Queen Katherine's Trial

20th of December 1530 - London, England

Walking through the halls of the palace that she called home, Katherine held her head high taking note of how empty the corridors seemed to be; her ladies followed her loyally to where she had been summoned. 

The message from Henry had arrived early that morning and Katherine hadn't been sure what to make of such a message from her husband calling her to the throne room where he was expecting her. 

After their talk, Katherine couldn't help but wonder if it had finally made Henry realise that there was nothing that he could do that would get rid of her; the Pope had sided in her favour and she would not leave him. 

The doors to the throne room where thrown open upon her arrival and Katherine didn't pause for a moment; a frown setting upon her face at the sight of so many people inside. 

"Her Majesty the Queen," a herald announced making everyone turn around to look towards Katherine, who didn't hesitate in walking through the crowds taking note that this was not the welcome that she had expected. 

Once the court would have bowed down to her without so much of a hesitation; instead now they stared directly at her as she approached her husband seated upon his throne. 

There was no throne for her to take her rightful place at her side, instead there was the single throne that Henry was seated upon; her ladies bowed down to him when they reached the steps to the throne. 

Katherine stood before Henry, she made no move to bow nor did she move to take her rightful place at his side considering he'd had her throne removed. 

"Will you not be seated madam?" Henry asked staring down at Katherine, he sat back in his throne knowing that what happened next was of her own doing; he had tried to offer her a way out but she had refused. 

Staring up at Henry, Katherine did not budge knowing what he expected of her and she would not give it to him; she was not his subject and would not allow him to treat her without the respect that she deserved. 

"My place is at your side and there is no seat for me there," Katherine told him, already having seen the chair that had been set out for her at the side of the room far from her rightful place at Henry's side on a throne as his Queen.

A nod of Henry's head was all she received in reply before he waved his hand to Thomas Cromwell so that they may begin with what came next; the sooner that they were done the better and then the real work could begin. 

"Do you deny that you encouraged your nephew, the Holy Roman Emperor, to act on your behalf and attack Rome to ensure that you could keep the throne?" Cromwell started, the room deathly silent as he spoke and moved closer to stand before the throne. 

The last couple of days had been mayhem and Thomas had been locked in his chambers with several others preparing for this; the night before he had been rather worried about confronting Katherine. 

The woman was rather popular and had even led an army into battle against the Scots while the King was away in France; she had been pregnant at the time but the baby boy was later lost. 

"Do you deny that you sent letters discussing private knowledge with your nephew, the Holy Roman Emperor?" Cromwell continued his questioning, he stared down at Katherine who stared back defiantly; there was no sign of any emotion on the woman's face that gave anything away. 

The room was silent and Thomas waited to see if Katherine would realise that this was serious; if she even realised that the jig was up and that now was the time for her to back down.