Chapter Sixty-Three: Your Majesty

29th of November 1534 - Hampton Court Palace

Striding through the halls, Thomas Boleyn felt a sense of pride at the fact that his daughter had been appointed regent in the absence of the King; people bowed down to him and the Duke of Norfolk while they walked towards Anne's chambers. 

There was no doubt in his mind that with the King gone that he and the Duke of Norfolk would be the power that ruled the country. Anne was afterall but a woman and she needed to focus on the child that she was carrying. 

To Thomas, there was nothing more important and the sooner that Anne was delivered of her son the better. 

A little Prince would be a massive support to their country especially with the King gone away to war; what a boost it would be for their troops to have such news that a Duke of York was in the royal nursery. 

Arriving at Anne's chambers, the two men were quickly announced to the Queen for they could not allow any doubt as to who was running the country. 

"Your Majesty," the Duke of Norfolk greeted with a nod of his head, he was eager to discuss how they would run the country especially now that the King had officially set sail for Calais. 

There was much that needed to be done and they could not wait, with the King gone it meant that England needed a strong leader; they could not afford to allow anything to slip through the cracks. 

England could not appear to be the weak link in the alliance, people would look to Anne as their Queen and she must be a force that would hold the country together during this time. 

"How is our future Duke of York?" Thomas asked, he had no doubts that Anne would not fail this time and every precaution was being taken to ensure that she was well cared for. 

A letter had even been sent to invite his eldest daughter to court along with her children since the Boleyn family had to appear strong while George and William were away fighting for the King. 

Anne would be surrounded by her family, they would be her greatest supporters and no one would doubt who the greatest family in the land was; they were the first family at court and those who were their allies would benefit the most.

"He is most well papa," Anne replied softly, a hand coming to rest on her swelling belly even though she could not ignore the twinge of doubt that bubbled inside of her; it made her stomach twist and she feared failing Henry again. 

Her husband was not an understanding man, he had his heart set on a nursey full of sons and Anne very much doubted that he would genuinely care for any daughters that she might give him. 

However, Anne had sworn to herself that she would not be disappointed this time; that she would love any living child that God gave her with the King and she would love them dearly. 

"Your Majesty, the Duke of Richmond," Lady Shelton announced making Anne look away from her father and uncle, a warm smile on her face at the sight of her step-son. 

If she could treat the Lady Mary with kindness then she was certain that she could be warm with him, he had been the King's only son for the longest time and he was now her kin through his marriage to her cousin. 

"My Lady Stepmother," the Duke of Richmond greeted, he moved to kiss her hand and bow to her; he had not been permitted to travel with his father for the war but had been encouraged to seek out Anne. 

If he wished to carve out a career here at court then now was the time to do so, he would serve the Queen while his father was gone and perhaps then he would be permitted to continue when his father returned.