Chapter Seventy-Six: Plotting

26th of March 1535 – Spain

Climbing off the back of his horse, King Ferdinand of Bohemia and Hungary could not help but frown as he pondered the reason that he had been summoned by his brother. 

The last place that he had ever wanted was to return to this place, he had spent years establishing himself in the lands that his brother had sent him to. 

Having been brought up in Spain by his maternal grandfather and namesake, Ferdinand had never known anything else until Charles had come into his life and sent him away. 

He had always done everything that his brother had told him but those days where number, he feared the plans that Charles informed him of and he knew that the Habsburg empire that his brother desired did not include him. 

Making his way up the steps of the palace, Ferdinand kept his face clear of his emotions as he approached his brother and sister-in-law; his every move watched by men that his brother trusted. 

Men that Ferdinand knew would happily turn on him if they had the chance, they would whisper dark words in Charles ears and turn him upon his own blood if they could. 

His brother had always been a suspicious man, he had never trusted Ferdinand and that was what had led him to send him to Austria when he had become King after the death of their grandfather. 

It had not mattered to Charles that Ferdinand did not speak the language or know the customs as long as he was not in his way of becoming King or trying to undermine him. 

"My dearest brother," Charles greeted stepping forward to embrace Ferdinand, a charming smile upon his face as if all was well in the world despite his recent defeat at the hands of the alliance. 

The death toll from the battle had been shocking on the Spanish side from what Ferdinand had heard, yet his brother showed no trace of such a defeat in his demeanour. 

Isabella stood back watching the two brothers embrace, a slight frown on her lips and she almost wished that Ferdinand had not come to them; she feared for her husband especially knowing that he did not take defeat well. 

Already his thoughts turned to revenge and Isabella knew that if something was not done then Europe would not recover from what her husband had planned.

"I hear I have a new niece," Charles stated stepping bac from Ferdinand to admire his younger brother, a part of him envious that his brother had chosen well for his bride; his wife had birthed eight children so far in their fourteen years of marriage. 

While his own royal nursery was rather sparse, he loved his wife dearly and wished she could further secure his rule with more healthy sons that could follow him. 

"Yes, Eleanor for our beloved sister," Ferdinand replied watching carefully for any sign of emotion from Charles, he was not sure what he was expecting from him especially considering what he had done to the sister that had supported him so. 

It had been Eleanor that had come with him to Spain when their grandfather had passed so that Charles might claim his new throne. 

It had been Eleanor that had made so many sacrifices for Charles at the cost of her own happiness, and how had Charles repaid that; he had called her insane and locked her away with their mother. 

A frown formed slightly on Charles' face for the barest of seconds before he forced a smile to replace it; it did not reach his eyes and Ferdinand knew that the name would irk his brother. 

Shaking off the mention of Eleanor, Charles turned to enter the palace knowing that his brother would follow him; there was much for them to discuss and little time for them to do so.