Chapter Thirteen: Investiture

1st of January 1531 - London, England

Kneeling before the King, Ippolito could not recall a time in which he had felt so nervous having not expected to receive such a reward for his service; his actions were being rewarded well and he had already been gifted a seat on the King's council. 

This was better than he had imagined and he was most certain that his father would be most pleased to see his children rise up after everything that had been taken from them. 

"To all and singular, as well nobles and gentiles as others to whom these presents shall come, it is the King's pleasure, by this patent, to confer on Master Ippolito de' Medici, in his own right and on his offspring the noble title of Duke of Hertford," Cromwell announced to the court. 

His words loud in the small chamber where Henry was investing many that day, he was in such a jovial mood now that he was no longer tied to Katherine who had left quietly to Kimbolton and things were looking up for him. 

The coronet was placed upon his head along with his new ceremonial robes, it all seemed so strange and Ippolito doubted he'd ever get used to it. 

His rise would make things easier on him and Clarice, he was determined to see them do well in England after they had burnt the bridges that might have seen them return to Italy. 

"Thank you, Your Majesty," Ippolito stated rising back to his feet, he had been given lands and a place that he could call home; something that he hadn't been able to do since he'd been removed as the Ruler of Florence. 

He bowed his head in respect to the King before backing out of the chamber to allow the next recipient to enter once he had the patent; he nodded his head to his beloved sister who looked beautiful in the blue gown that she had selected for the event. 

"Mistress de' Medici," the herald called announcing her, her hands trembled slightly and she slowly lowered herself to her knees before the King; Clarice was slightly concerned that her clammy hands would ruin the patent.

It had come as a surprise to her when it was announced that she would receive a title along with her brother, it had been expected that Ippolito would be ennobled especially after the evidence that he had brought had allowed the King to free himself. 

Anne had been the one to point out to her that Henry would do so not only because she had been a kind and loyal friend to her but because it would also slight Francis. 

"To all and singular, as well nobles and gentiles as others to whom these presents shall come, it is the King's pleasure, by this patent, to confer on Mistress Clarice de' Medici, in her own right and on her offspring the noble title of Countess of Kendal," Cromwell announced to the room. 

He had been most surprised when the King had told him that he wished to give the lady a title, one to make up for the fact that Francis had stolen her birth right from her at the orders of the Pope. 

The title had been selected carefully, a nod to one of the King's ancestors and a title that had died out; but it could not be higher or equal to the next investment and would allow her to make a fine match in the future. 

As with her brother, the coronet was placed upon her head along with her new ceremonial robes; Clarice was almost in awe thinking back to how this compared to her becoming a Duchess. 

It hadn't been as grand as this, Francis had just written to her to inform her that she would be allowed to keep the title that had once been her parents. 

"Thank you, Your Majesty," Clarice whispered staring up at Henry, she had no idea why he had made the decision to grant her a title but she was most thankful for it; it granted her a freedom that she thought was lost.