Chapter One Hundred: The Seymour Issue

15th of March 1536 - Greenwich Palace

"It is by my will and my great desire that in the event of my death that Queen Anne shall be recognised as regent for our son, Prince Alexander," King Henry announced to his privy council, his eyes sweeping over the peers that had gathered to hear his proclamation. 

His time in recovery from his accident while jousting had left the King with much to consider, he knew that despite his desire to live a long life that he must be prepared for the event that the Lord called him home before he was ready. 

Anne was seated on Henry's right, her eyes gazing up at her husband as he addressed the lords of the privy council, and she knew that there would be many that would be displeased with such a notion. 

Many would have sorted to gain control for themselves in the event of the King's death, with only a few words it was now all but decided that it would be Anne that ruled in her son's name when her husband passed. 

"My lords, my dear Queen, it is my desire for the castle of Ludlow to be granted to my beloved Prince Alexander, I wish to see the castle repaired to it's former glory before the prince takes up his placement at the castle," Henry continued knowing that it would soon be time for Alexander to leave the royal nursery which he shared with his sisters. 

Sir Thomas Engleford had complained quite recently that the castle was still unfit for habitation, even with the considerable renovation work that had been down at the start of 1530. 

"My Lord Suffolk. It is you who I task with such a duty as restoring Ludlow Castle for our most beloved son," Henry stated taking Anne's hand and looking at his friend, a look that left no misunderstanding as to why Charles Brandon had been chosen for this task. 

It was to be a punishment for the accident that Charles had caused that had left the king bedridden for many weeks with a splitting headache and causing the wound on his leg to reopen from an earlier incident. 

"It is an honour Your Majesties," Charles replied stiffly, his face revealed nothing about how he felt about such an appointment even as he glanced to his right where the Duke of Norfolk was seated looking rather amused.

The announcement that the Earl of Lincoln had been betrothed to Lady Contessina Boleyn had been most welcomed by the King, who had insisted that it was a fine match for his Goddaughter and had gone as far as to hint that he'd greatly bless the marriage. 

Henry nodded at Charles before he turned on to the other business that needed to be discussed, there was much that he still wanted to do with his life, and he wanted to leave England strong for his son. 

"We must send out most sincere congratulations to the new King Charles of Naples and his bride on his coronation," Henry said knowing that the new King of Naples would be linked to the throne of England through the marriage of his youngest daughter. 

Beatrice would make a fine French Duchess; Henry was most pleased to learn that Anne was already instructing Lady Bryan on how their daughters should have the finest education available to them. 

Anne had hired the finest language tutors that could be found for their children, Danish, Swedish and French had been instructed to be taught to the children to reflect each of their new matches. 

"As well as our congratulations to the newly crowned King Philip, who was crowned earlier this month," Henry continued knowing that the Spanish were still recovering from the loss of the Emperor as well as the rumours that Joanna of Castile was on her deathbed. 

The Queen of Castile was the last of her siblings alive following the death of Catalina earlier in the year, the news of her ill health was not unexpected especially given the conditions that the anointed Queen had lived in since her imprisonment.