Chapter One Hundred & Five: A Wedding to Remember

10th of August 1536 - Saint-Germain-en-Laye

The wedding of the Duke of Brittany and Maria of Portugal had been a grand affair, no expense having been spared for the wedding of the heir and his bride; it was clear that the court had much to celebrate this day. 

Eleanor of Austria looked upon her daughter with such pride, although she felt a twinge of sadness knowing her own wedding day had not been so joyful. 

Looking back now, she wished that she hadn't allowed Charles to do what he had; that he hadn't forced her onto the French throne in his own bid for power. 

There was much regret for her time here, how she had been nothing more than a puppet for him to try and control Francis; her former husband had hated her for that no matter what she did to try and please him. 

Not that she blamed him for that, he'd had no choice but to marry her if she wanted his sons returned to him after Charles had taken them hostage in exchange for his release. 

A lump formed in her throat as she stared at her beloved daughter, she prayed to God Almighty that she would have a better time in France than she had; that she would be as loved as Elisabeth and Claude had been. 

The ceremony was a long one, many prayers being said for the couple and Eleanor was happy for Maria; she looked so happy since she had arrived and the Dauphin had been as charming as Eleanor remembered him. 

He had always been a rather sweet boy, quiet after his time being imprisoned by her brother and he had treated her with the respect that she had deserved as Queen of France. 

After what seemed like an age, the ceremony came to an end and Eleanor was surprised to find herself face to face with King Francis who offered her his arm with a kind smile. 

"My Lady," he greeted her with a bow of his head, the Duke and Duchess of Brittany made their way back down the aisle; smiles upon their faces that Eleanor hoped would always be there. 

She wanted her daughter to have a happy marriage, one happier than Eleanor had when she lived here; she linked arms with Francis as they followed after the royal newlyweds with Queen Elisabeth following behind them with the rest of the royal party behind her.

"I wish to express my apologies for how things were between us, I know that it was not a marriage that either of us would have ever chosen," Francis stated lowly, he nodded to the nobles that he recognised as they followed down the aisle. 

Their marriage was one that they both regretted, a marriage that should have never taken place but they'd had no other choice but to go through with it as Francis would not risk his sons' lives. 

"It is understandable Your Majesty. We were ill matched and forced into our own unhappiness," Eleanor replied simply, it would do them both no good to dwell on the past not when there could be so much joy in the future. 

God willing Maria and Francis would have children of their own son, heirs that would one day sit on the throne of France and secure it for years to come. 

"That may be, but I treated you poorly... I shamed you greatly to punish your brother," Francis admitted knowing that he had been far from kind to Eleanor, he didn't deserve her kindness on this matter. 

His anger had been misplaced and directed at her, when it should have been firmly directed at Charles; not that the man could cause anymore hurt now that he was dead and buried. 

Isabella was proving to be more level headed than her husband, she was in no hurry to fight with anyone at this time and hopefully Philip would take after his mother in that regard when the time came for him to rule on his own.