Chapter Ninety-Seven: The Joust

22nd of February 1536 - Greenwich Palace

"The King is in a fine mood," the Duchess of Bedford noted from her seat beside Queen Anne in the royal box, her eyes focused on her husband who was across the arena from her as he spoke with the Earl of Buckingham. 

It had been a wonderful surprise for Mary to join them at court, wanting to announce her pregnancy in person rather than send the news by letter. 

"That he is, he even asked to come to my chambers tonight," Anne mused sipping on her ale, her eyes casting over the gathering that had come to watch the celebrations. 

Today was not only about celebrating the return of the King and the victory in Europe, but it was also celebrating the fourth birthday of her beloved son. 

It had been at Hampton Court Palace, four years ago to this day that she had birthed her precious son and she could not believe that she had been so lucky since then. 

Her three children were her blessing, she would do anything for her children even if it meant dealing with her fickle husband. 

Clarice nodded at that, her eyes moving away from her husband to look at her sister-in-law as she pondered her thoughts for a moment. 

They had not had the chance to speak privately since Clarice had returned to court, she had heard news that she wished to discuss with her. 

"And the whispers?" Clarice queried discreetly, her voice lowering so that she would not be overheard by anyone that was seated around them. 

The last thing that she wished to do was to let anyone know what was going on in the royal marriage especially if it was going to cause Anne grief in anyway. 

"Mistress Jane it appears by goblet is nearly empty," Anne instructed loudly holding out the goblet for her lady to take, she eyed the simple blonde that had thought of herself so highly. 

She waited until Jane had taken the goblet from her and moved away from them to fill it before she spoke. 

"Lady Ughtred says that the King has not visited her since their liaison upon his return to England, he has not called her to his bed either," Anne murmured softly, she looked back at the field for the next round of jousting. 

There was no emotion on her face as she stared ahead, she would not allow anyone to see how she felt about the fact that Jane had slept with her husband.

When Edward and Elizabeth had come to her with their concerns about Jane's behaviour and had presented Anne with copies of her letters from Henry that had made her heart feel colder towards her husband. 

There had been silence as she stared at the letters that confirmed her fears about the situation at hand, she had always known that he was fickle and his attention would never stay on one woman. 

"Now that he's had her, he certainly doesn't want to keep her," Anne mused gently, a small smile on her face as Jane returned and handed her the goblet back before she returned to her spot. 

Her eyes refusing to meet Anne's, she acted like she was anywhere else than here serving Anne as her lady-in-waiting when she could be in the stands with her family watching the tourney and supporting the King. 

Clapping as Sir Arthur Darcy unseated his opponent to win his joust to the roar of the crowd around him, Anne raised an eyebrow to Clarice who eyed the blonde.

The two shared a knowing look as they focused on the next round of jousters, Anne sat up a little straighter and she could not help but notice that Jane also perked up at the announcement of the King.