Chapter Five: Speaking with the King

6th of May 1530 - Palace of Placentia

"Sweetheart. Allow me to introduce, Her Grace. The Duchess of Nemours," Anne announced smiling as she approached the King, she was dressed in her riding outfit and paid little attention to anyone else but him. 

Today's hunt sparked the perfect time to introduce Henry to Clarice away from the eyes of the court; Anne knew that she had to play this carefully, the last thing she needed was this to blow up in her face. 

"Your Majesty," Clarice greeted dropping into a curtsy, the King stared at her for a moment before signalling for her to rise; he had not expected for Anne to befriend the Duchess. 

Especially not when the woman was related to the man that was responsible for the delay in their marriage; he was growing tired of being denied what he desired most. 

"Your Grace. I trust you are prepared for today's hunt," Henry stated pleasantly, if Anne had brought the Italian on their hunting trip, then he would trust her judgement. 

He knew many at court still thought that he would stay with Katherine, they loved the Spanish Princess as their Queen and they were unaccepting of his intention to marry Anne. 

Should his intended have found a friend in the Duchess then Henry would seek to honour that; he was certain that if the Pope heard the truth of how things were here from Clarice that he might be more willing to side in Henry's favour. 

Henry would do anything to be free from Katherine, he need a son to secure his legacy; passing the throne to a daughter would never work as it had done in Spain and there was the situation of Joanna of Castile to consider. 

There were whispers that she was a mad woman, it was the entire reason that she had been locked away; but what if Ferdinand and her son had only done so, so that they could keep her power. 

"I should hope so, Your Majesty. It has been awhile since I have had the chance to go hunting," Clarice admitted, it had been before the Sack of Rome that she had been able to enjoy such a pass time. 

Things had been stifling with the loss of Florence and with Rome being taken by the Emperor; she had found herself almost a prisoner in her own home for her own safety for a time.

Mounting the horse that she had been gifted for the hunt by Anne, Clarice noticed that aside from herself and Anne; the only other ladies in attendance where the ones that they had each tasked to accompany them. 

Clarice guessed that they were to be witnesses proof that the King was a gentlemen towards a woman that he was courting even though his wife sat inside the palace probably taking mass. 

The rest of the gathering was made up of the King, the Duke of Suffolk, Viscount Rochford and a few servants and guards that would attend to them while they were out in the countryside. 

Never had Clarice been granted the honour of attending such a gathering from her cousin, the King of France; to be here was a sign of favour one that she knew could be easily taken away. 

Leaving behind the palace, Clarice twisted the rein of her horse as they headed out; the men talking joyfully about the hunt, a stag that they had not caught yet taking over the conversation. 

The sudden sound of Anne's voice made Clarice jump, she turned her head to the side a weak smile on her face knowing that their alliance was a weak one at best but it was the only offer she had. 

Clarice knew that when news reached Clement that he would be furious, she dared him to come to a strange country with little support and succeed in a task that he did not wish to do.