Chapter Seven: Change in Circumstances

2nd of November 1530 - London, England

Listening to Anne recount her meeting with the King, Clarice couldn't help but smile pleased to see that things were still going well for her despite the fact that there was still no sign of the King was going to be granted his annulment. 

Katherine still openly refused to accept that her marriage to the King was over, she often sent messages via servants that she missed Henry and wished he would come see her instead of spending time with Anne. 

It was a relief to Clarice that her small actions with Anne had been able to help the other woman in any way that was possible; she was aware that this could all fall apart very easily. 

"Your Grace. The French Ambassador is without," Isotta interrupted offering no apology to Anne, the man had insisted that it was important and had to speak with Clarice at this very moment. 

Signalling for Isotta to bring the ambassador in, Clarice glanced at Anne who looked almost as confused as she did; there had been no such meeting like this since Clarice had arrived at court six months earlier. 

"Your Grace," Charles de Solier, Comte de Morette greeted offering a bow to her, his eyes glancing around nervous at the news that he'd been asked to deliver. 

A part of him wished that he could avoid such a meeting, he had could not imagine that she would take the news that he been asked to ensure that she understood what was happening. 

"I have been asked to deliver this letter from His Majesty, King Francis," Charles stated stiffing in his place, his hand reaching into his pocket to retrieve the letter that he sworn to deliver to her. 

Handing it over, Charles glanced towards Anne who was watching him with interest for a moment; she had no idea what the letter might contain especially if the ambassador had brought it here. 

The letter had passed from Francis to the ambassador meaning that there would be no way it could be detected entering court until it reached Clarice's hand. 

Opening up the letter, Clarice turned away from the Ambassador and started to read what her cousin had to say; the colour draining from her face as she read further and she turned back looking to the ambassador.

"I don't understand," Clarice told him, brandishing the letter his way feeling lost at the news that he delivered; her mind racing a mile a minute trying to work out just what she was going to do with this news. 

If Francis planned to take away her Duchy then Clarice was unsure how her royal cousin expected her to support herself; he would never abandon her without reason, in another country with no way of supporting herself there. 

"His Majesty feels your position would be better suited for Philip of Savoy," Charles replied glancing away, his eyes catching with Anne's as she understood just what was happening; his palms felt sweaty and he almost wished he had not brought her such news. 

No matter what she said now it was too late, he was most certain that King Francis had gone ahead and given her title of Duchess of Nemours to her uncle. 

Philip was the brother of her mother and she had not seen him since she was a young girl, she felt angry that her cousin had removed her title to give it to him when he had been the Count of Genevois for years. 

Moving towards Clarice, Anne ushered the other woman to sit down concerned that she may faint from the news that she had received; it was a great shock and Anne knew that this changed things for Clarice. 

"And what of me?" Clarice asked quietly, she had to wonder just what was expected of her now; there was no explanation for why he couldn't just give their uncle a different title.