Chapter One Hundred & Eight: Queen Consort of Scotland

1st of January 1537 - Notre Dame de Paris

The wedding of King James V of Scotland to Princess Madeleine was a quiet affair compared to the tragic wedding of her brother only five months earlier; the court still in deep mourning for the late Dauphin. 

The atmosphere was tense, every precaution being taken to protect those in attendance for the royal wedding that would see King Francis' eldest daughter become the Queen Consort of Scotland. 

Queen Elisabeth would not be in attendance, having entered her confinement only days earlier for the expected birth of her second child with many hoping that the Queen would be delivered of a second son. 

The execution of Francis' murderer had done nothing to truly ease the tensions of the court, there were whispers that grew with each passing day that Sebastiano de Montecuccoli had not been acting alone in his actions. 

Henri had stepped up since his elder brother had been killed, the news that everyone had been waiting for since his marriage to Catherine had come shortly after Christmas. 

The Dauphine was finally pregnant, she was expected mid-spring from what the court physicians had to say and Catherine was beaming with pride as she showcased her growing bump around court. 

The court had much to celebrate these days despite the continued sadness that lingered from losing the eldest son of King Francis; there were many that hoped that the bad times were behind them now. 

Linking arms with her husband, Catherine held her head high as she walked with him along the aisle; she was the first lady of court with the Queen in her confinement. 

Only Margaret and Madeleine remained at court now, Charles was in Naples were he would remain for the forcible future as the King with Maria of Austria having arrived to prepare her for her role as his future consort. 

Margaret of Austria had joined her half-sister at the court of King Charles as one of her ladies after the death of her husband and Spain paying the ransom that had been required. 

While Christina of Denmark remained in Lorraine as there was no sign of her uncle wanting her back in Denmark, with his attentions focused on finding connections for his own children. 

His daughter Anne would be Queen of England and there were talks for Prince Frederick to be wed to Joanna of Austria, the younger daughter of Isabella of Portugal and the former Holy Roman Emperor.

King James looked handsome as he waited for his bride to arrive, it had been a long time coming and he was unwilling to put off the wedding any longer fearing that the French might drop out of the agreement. 

His heart was sent on marrying Madeleine, despite her ill health and he was determined to have her as his bride since the moment that he had laid eyes on her with Madeleine returning his interest. 

Francis had been reluctant to part with his eldest daughter, fearing the harsh climate of Scotland would prove fatal to his daughter's already failing health but had agreed when Madeleine had insisted on marrying James. 

They were to be married this day at Notre Dame Cathedral with a banquet that night in the Louvre Palace. 

Francis providing Madeleine with a generous dowry of 100,000 écu, and a further 30,000 francs settled on James V and according to the marriage contract made at Blois, Madeleine renounced her and any of her heirs' claims to the French throne. 

If James died first, Madeleine would retain for her lifetime assets including the Earldoms of Fife, Strathearn, Ross, and Orkney with Falkland Palace, Stirling Castle, and Dingwall Castle, with the Lordship of Galloway and Threave Castle.