Chapter Ten: One Last Chance

19th of December 1530 - London, England

Staring up at the worn-down building, the stone looked like it was crumbling and the roof was missing in places; the sign on the door read that it was an orphanage, though it looked far from that. 

Snow coated the building and Clarice doubted that a place such as this offered much protection from the elements especially the extremely cold winter that England was enduring; it made her thankful for her place at the Palace. 

Clarice ignored the whispers from Anne's other ladies as she stepped inside following Anne knowing that their mission here was more important than ever; especially with what Ippolito had told her of the King's plans. 

Wrinkling her nose slightly at the smell that greeted them upon entering the building that was meant to be a safe place for children; it was like nothing she had ever smelt before in her life. 

A harassed and shocked elderly woman appeared, wiping her hands on her apron and ducking into a clumsy curtsy at the sight of the ladies. 

There was no denying the wealth of the women that had entered and it made her wonder what had brought them to her establishment; her eyes flickering between them trying to make sense of this. 

"We have come to see the children," Anne informed the woman kindly, she wasn't here to cause trouble in fact it was the opposite; she was certain that her travels around the poorer parts of the capital had spread. 

Clarice had been most helpful in selecting the causes that Anne would visit, boosting her popularity amongst the common people was important especially if she was to be Henry's Queen soon. 

Her friend had pointed out that if she could not win the nobilities favor then she must focus on winning the people to her side if she wanted to stand a chance upon coming into her throne. 

A frown set upon the elderly woman's face, almost as if she had realised who was at her door and a part of her wanted to turn them away but she had heard that the Lady Anne had been visiting many places like this. 

Many had heard about her stealing the King away from his wife and trying to force Good Queen Katherine from her throne.

However, when word had started to spread around London that Anne had started to visit those in need including the local hospital, visiting those who had been injured fighting for the King and those without a place to call home. 

"Of course," the woman said, her eyes watching Anne not sure whether the woman that had caused Good Queen Katherine so much grief and deserved to be dragged through the streets like a common whore was good news or not. 

None of the other nobles had ever wandered down here and stuck to the palace turning their noses up at the common folk; she had lived here all her life looking after children and no one ever paid her much mind. 

The building was freezing and the air felt trapped inside the slim corridors that wormed their way through; some rooms that Anne passed had no doors on them at all and there were improvised beds made up of straw and dirty rags for covers. 

The great hall was where the children were scattered around, skinny and small with barely any clothing to call their own despite the cold; dome had no shoes but all of them were dirty and unwashed. 

They all bore looks of sadness and hunger that made Anne grateful for what her father had provided for them even if they hadn't had much money at times given that her father was the son of a knight. 

Making her way into the middle of the floor, Anne looked around unsure where to begin and knowing that there was much that she could do to change their lives.