Chapter Thirty-Four: Problem Shared

27th of July 1532 - London, England

"The Dowager Princess of Wales has again requested your presence, Your Grace. She says that she wishes to say her goodbyes before she returns to Kimbolton," her lady said relaying the message that had been sent to her mistress. 

The Duchess of Hertford had been married for a couple of days now and was due to retire to Ragley Hall with the Duke, she was most eager to get away from court and enjoy their marital home in the countryside. 

This also meant that it was time for the Dowager Princess of Wales to return home, she had been invited to court to see her daughter married to the Duke of Hertford and her welcome here was over. 

The court would be moving to Hampton Court and it was expected for Katherine to take her leave with her ladies and head back to the estate that the King had granted her in his kindness. 

"Send my apologises to Her Highness, I am indisposed," Mary replied not looking up from her book, she had not seen her mother since she had wed and she had no intentions of changing that. 

It had not escaped her that her mother was committing treason and that if she was not careful then she could find herself on the chopping block. 

Her eyes did not leave the book that she was reading, more than grateful to Clarice for giving her the book; she had several others that had also been sent to her that would teach her about the family that had married into. 

The history of her husband's family was rather interesting, they had come from nothing and had risen up in the world as bankers making several advantageous marriages. 

So far, they'd had two members become Popes and were the Rulers of Florence in all but title, she was most impressed and most certain that they would continue to do great things. 

Her son would follow in his father's footsteps, she would learn what she could and become a wife that would be of not like the women that had come before her having married into the family. 

Mary would ensure that her heritage would be of benefit to her husband, her children would have many ties to royalty and they would be sort after marriage material when the time was right.

Perhaps one of her children would feel the calling to enter the church and perhaps even become Pope, she would ensure that they would not do what pass Pope's had done and fall to the whims of Kings or Emperors that sort to have their own way. 

"You have been avoiding her," Ippolito noted catching Mary by surprise, she looked up to her husband who had returned from the privy council meeting that he had gone to attend. 

He waved his hand to dismiss her ladies, the King had been most kind with his allowance and there was no doubt that Mary was firmly in her father's favour especially now that she was married. 

"I am your husband Maria, I shall share any burden that I can with you," Ippolito stated approaching her, he intended to be a good and kind husband to her and he would ensure that she was comfortable for the rest of her days. 

Even when they left England and travelled to Florence, he would make sure that he valued her and her opinions; the history of his family weren't just built on the backs of the men. 

Mary was silent, her eyes searching his face for any sign that she could not trust him; she had nowhere to turn and Ippolito did currently have the King's ear and his trust. 

With her ladies gone and no one else around to report what she might say to the wrong people; Mary knew that perhaps sharing the burden of her mother's treason with Ippolito was for the best.