Chapter Eighty-Three: The Plot

5th of July 1535 - Whitehall Palace

"Your Majesty," Cromwell greeted bowing down to Queen Anne as she entered her presence chamber, the court having recently arrived at Whitehall after spending many a month at Hampton Court since the King had left for war. 

News of the continued siege at Florence had not been welcome but there was no sign of the Emperor striking back for the loss of Milan and it was taken as a good sign especially with Spain's treasury in such disarray.

"What is it?" Anne asked concerned, a part of her feared the death of her husband especially given the tender age of their son; despite her growing coldness to Henry, she did not wish for his death nor the early rise of her son. 

Alexander was but a boy and the role in which he was destined to hold one day was a heavy load to carry, especially on shoulders so young. 

Cromwell hesitated for a moment, he was under no illusions that his relationship with the Boleyn family had changed; he had been risen higher than he could have ever believed because of them but his ambitions for a better England clashed greatly with Anne's. 

However, in this case he was sure that they were united by a mutual enemy as it were; there was no denying the threat that could possibly led to their mutual downfall must be dealt with. 

"Speak Cromwell, I am sure such news cannot be that bad," Anne ordered tired of his delay, she had matters of state to deal with and there was much to be done in the absence of her husband. 

As regent in Henry's absence, most of her duties now lay in her hands and Anne was determined to prove herself to the people. 

"It is the Infanta, Your Majesty." Cromwell informed her stiffly, a look of disgust on his face as he brought up Anne's former rival; one that he had been sure would not be an issue again especially considering her current location. 

Bermondsey Abbey had been the perfect place to place the disgraced princess of Aragon, it had strong links to the crown and Catherine had been monitored since she had arrived in their care to ensure she could not plot against the crown any further.

Closing her eyes at the mention of Henry's former wife, Anne tried to summon all of her strength knowing that of course Catherine would choose now to act out against her. 

There was no hiding the fact that Henry was out of the country anymore, although any hopes Catherine had of taking the throne for Mary were entirely pointless with her out of the country with her father. 

"It appears that Her Grace has taken ill," Cromwell murmured not wanting the news to travel further than needed, he had no intentions of allowing the Spanish to twist such a thing against them during this time. 

Catherine was the crown's responsibility especially since they had her imprisoned at the Abbey, rather than risk the chance of her escaping back to Spain and revealing more state secrets to the Emperor that he could use against them. 

"Send the court physician to her, I will not have it said that she was neglected under my charge nor that we had her poisoned to spite the Emperor," Anne ordered after taking a moment to gather her thoughts. 

While she did not like Catherine, she would not have the woman suffer more than she had to; if she was unwell, they would send aid to her even if she did not deserve it. 

Anne very much doubted that if their roles were reversed that Catherine would consider such a move on her part but Anne knew that she could not let Catherine die a martyrs death and be used as a further reason for the Emperor to try and invade England.