Chapter Eighty-Seven: Common Ground

11th of August 1535 - Hampton Court Palace

Looking through the paperwork that she had been handed, Queen Anne could not believe how long she had been regent for; she had never assumed that Henry would be out of the country for this long. 

A part of her was relieved that she did not have to deal with her husband at times, she loved the peace that she had achieved in his absence and she was sure that her actions had ensured that her regency had been smooth. 

The doors to her presence chamber opened and Anne did not lift her eyes from her work, she kept on reading and signing her name where needed knowing that Cromwell needed some of these papers by that afternoon. 

"What news?" Anne asked not looking up from her papers, she wished to get them finished in time so that she might enjoy a stroll around the gardens; the flowers looked beautiful this time of year and she longed to spend some time with her children. 

Alexander and Elizabeth were doing well with their lessons, Anne had instructed that her children be taught languages and further their education than previously. 

It had been her intention that Alexander would be taught Danish while Elizabeth would be taught Swedish, especially with the announcement of their betrothals; it would not do in her mind for them both to not be prepared. 

"The Duchess of Richmond has been blessed with a very healthy son," Lady Elizabeth Ughtred announced with a low curtsy, she sounded a little out of breath having rushed from the Duke of Richmond's apartments to share the news. 

The Duchess had gone into labour the day before and prayers had been said in hopes that her delivery would be an easy one. 

"We must send our congratulations to my stepson, it is wonderful news indeed," Anne stated pausing in her work, she would be sure to send such news to her husband knowing that the birth of a healthy grandson would be welcomed. 

While the boy would never be seated upon the throne, it was always good to welcome a child into the world and it proved further that Henry's children were of fertile stock.

"The Duke has announced his desire for the child to be named for Her Grace's father," Lady Elizabeth stated softly, she had no doubts that the decision had been made in hopes of appeasing the Duke of Norfolk. 

It had been noted that he had been rather displeased by the news that despite his orders, the marriage between Fitzroy and his daughter had been consummated and had produced a child. 

"I am sure that my uncle will be most pleased," Anne replied with a sigh, she recalled her uncle's very visit to her when he had learned of what had happened; his orders that she punish Fitzroy for impregnating his daughter. 

The very fact that Mary was thrilled with her pregnancy and showing it off once they had the Queen's backing, did very little to sooth his temper especially when the couple had no remorse. 

Sitting back in her chair, Anne glanced at the warm summer scenery outside of her window; how she longed to be anywhere but trapped inside dealing with these papers. 

The back of her neck ached and she rolled her neck trying to lessen the pain in hopes of getting through the papers quicker. 

"Mister Cromwell to see you Your Majesty," Madge Shelton announced moving aside so that the man could enter the room, his dark robes sweeping in along with him as he entered Anne's presence chamber. 

A serious look on his face as he lowered himself into bow being careful not to drop any of the papers that he had brought with him that were in urgent need of Anne's attention.