Chapter One Hundred & Nine: The Duke of York

12th of March 1537 - Hampton Court Palace

"Send our heartfelt congratulations to Their Majesties on the birth of their daughter," Henry instructed the French ambassador, upon hearing the news that Queen Elisabeth of France had been safely delivered of a daughter only a month earlier. 

It would surely be a blow to the French King but a healthy child was better than none, especially in light of the recent marriage of his eldest daughter to the Scottish King. 

The birth of Princess Yolande was a welcome one by all accounts, Henry heard that his French counterpart had gifted his Queen a villa in the south of the country upon the birth of their second child together. 

King Henry was in a very good mood in deed this day, for word had spread that early that morning Queen Anne had begun to labour and there was signs that the Queen would be delivered of her child before noon that day. 

There was much for the King to celebrate these days, word having come from Florence where his daughter was currently expecting her third child any day now as well. 

The child should it be a boy would come to England, where he would be given the English titles belonging to Ippolito to secure the Medici succession there while his older brother would inherit the Italian ones. 

The Boleyns were out in force at court, The Duke of Wiltshire having arrived just that morning with his wife from their country estates in preparation for the newest royal birth. 

The Countess of Buckingham had been with the Queen since New Year, having arrived to support her sister in her delivery and confinement while the Duchess of Bedford remained at her own estates. 

Clarice was entering her own confinement for her fourth child, the baby not due for another month or so with her husband coming to court, where he was often seen with the King and the Seymour brothers. 

The Duke of Suffolk was missing from court due to the recent birth of his second son with his Duchess, the boy taking his father's name from birth and from letters Henry received was rather a healthy boy. 

King Henry was contented with how everything at his court was playing out, even Viscount Bryan had returned to court after the birth of his first child with the Viscountess who remained hidden away. 

Though everyone of note knew the truth, that the Viscount's first child was truly the illegitimate daughter of King Henry who he would not acknowledge.

There was a sudden commotion in the hallway, a man dressed in the Queen's livery rushing into the room almost falling to the floor as the King's guards stopped him from getting any closer. 

His shouts had been heard from the halls and many turned to look at the man as if he had lost his mind, that he would act such a way. 

"What is it?" King Henry asked sitting forward on his throne, his eyes staring down at the man who was trying to catch his breath while attempting to break free from the guards that stopped him. 

Everyone stared at the man as he tried to catch his breath, there wasn't a word spoken and the hall seemed to hold their collective breath as they waited to see what he had to say. 

"A son. Her Majesty has been delivered of a healthy son," the man announced, whispers following his announcement with many turning to see the king's reaction as he sat in silence upon his throne. 

The words echoed in his mind, they had their Duke of York, a second son to secure the Tudor rule over England and nothing could stand in their way and he would see his father's work continue. 

Thomas Boleyn couldn't stop the smile forming on his face, no one could deny that Anne was secure now; she had given the King, two healthy sons and secured the Tudor succession for years to come.