Chapter Thirty-Two: Back at Court

20th of July 1532 - London, England

Staring ahead, Katherine held her head high as she walked through the halls of the palace that had once been a home to her; she had been surprised about how quickly she had been allowed to return to court. 

Her welcome so far had been far from a warm welcome and Katherine was not sure what she had expected when she returned to London after being away for so long; never mind the fact that the new Queen had done what she could not. 

Prince Alexander had already outlived her beloved Little Prince Hal, her son had only lived for fifty-two days before God had called him back to his side. 

If only her beloved son had lived then perhaps things would have worked out differently, she'd have retained her title as Queen and everything would have been perfect and she wouldn't be returning in disgrace like this. 

"Presenting Her Royal Highness, the Dowager Princess of Wales," the herald announced snapping Katherine from her thoughts of what might have been and her part in a dynasty that would erase her. 

Her only hope in setting right the wrongs done against her was for her to ensure that Mary took the throne and history was written by the survivors and she was surely that. 

Stepping into the greeting hall, Katherine stared ahead of her towards the thrones that seated King Henry and his new Queen; she felt her stomach turn at the sight of that woman. 

Once she had thought that her Henry would tire of Anne once he had gotten what he had wanted from her, like he had done with all his mistresses before her; now Katherine wasn't sure how to feel about her rival. 

Walking towards their Majesties, Katherine felt all eyes on her knowing that they all watched her wanting to see any sign of malice towards the King and his Queen. 

Reaching the front of the dais, Katherine swept herself into a curtsy befitting of a Queen of England and an Infanta of Spain; she kept her eyes trained on King Henry as she rose back to her feet. 

"The Queen and I welcome you back to court," King Henry greeted her with a smile, his mood had been high since the birth of his son and he saw no reason to be displeased with Katherine after she had done as he had asked. 

Especially since the birth of his son was proof that it was not his fault what had happened when he had been married to Katherine when they'd lost so many children.

"I am pleased to be welcomed back," Katherine replied stiffly, her eyes moving away from the man that had once been her husband to the woman that now held his heart and the throne of England; both of which had once been hers. 

It stung to see Anne in her position when she had been so sure that King Henry would tire of her, like he had done before and remained loyal to her; she cursed those who had helped bring about her downfall for their own gain. 

Though Katherine was aware that if it hadn't been her then it would have been another woman, it didn't help that it was Anne; a woman that had once served Katherine as a lady-in-waiting and a woman with little background of note. 

Katherine was sure that if it had been another woman that had been of her own standing that perhaps she would have understood the attraction since they would have come from good breeding but Anne was far from that. 

With a wave of his hand, King Henry signalled for the Marquess of Winchester to step forward so that she may greet her mother; he watched the two closely to see how their reunion went. 

It had been a couple of years since mother and daughter had seen one another, he had kept them apart in hopes of stopping Katherine from corrupting their daughter.