Chapter Seventeen: Lady Mary Tudor

20th of February 1531 - London, England

Walking with her head held high, Lady Mary couldn't help but take notice about how different the court of her father felt now that her mother was no longer his Queen; people stared as she passed them on the way to see her father. 

For the first time in many years, she had been welcomed back to her father's court after spending a few years at Ludlow preparing for the day that she would take her father's throne. 

Something that she doubted would happen now, Mary had prayed for answers to her situation and nothing had come to her; she wondered if this was a test from God to prove her worthiness for the throne. 

Reaching the greeting hall where she was too meet with her father, Lady Mary paused for a moment to gather the bearings; her ladies pausing behind her before she nodded her head. 

"Presenting the Lady Mary Tudor," the herald announced, the hall following quiet and everyone turned to face the former Princess as she made her way through the hall towards the throne where the King was seated alone. 

There were no whispers and people stared at her while she walked, she paid them no mind instead focusing on her father before her who looked pleased to see her. 

"Your Majesty," Lady Mary greeted dropping into a curtsy that her mother would have been proud of, she stayed low for a moment before rising and returning to look at him. 

He looked differently than she remembered, the beard that he was growing out made him look older and Lady Mary couldn't feel at ease with the fact that her mother was not by his side. 

"My Pearl. Welcome to court," Henry greeted smiling, he moved to stand and made his way down the steps to greet her properly; he took her hands and kissed them, the smile never leaving his face. 

Every part of him hoped that Lady Mary would welcome the changes that he had made even if it did take her some time to adjust to them; she would be treated well as she was his daughter, legitimate or not. 

"Thank you, Your Majesty," Mary murmured softly, the eyes of the court firmly on them and Lady Mary wondered if he even realised what he had done by leaving her mother.

It should have been the Pope's word, not the Archbishop of Canterbury's that had annulled the marriage; yet the issue had been handled here instead of in Rome like her mother had wanted it to be. 

"Father," Henry insisted giving her hand a squeeze of reassurance, he would always be her father and nothing would change that; he was hopeful that her visit here would show her just how her life would be better now. 

He would ensure that she was treated well and she would make a fine match that would not threaten her future brother's position on the throne; she would only be behind Anne and any daughters that she had. 

"There is someone I would very much like you to meet," Henry beamed linking arms with Lady Mary and started to lead her, he paid no mind to those who were watching them with interest. 

No one had been sure how to react when it had been announced that the King was inviting his daughter by Katherine to court; the court were all still reeling from what had happened. 

"Sweetheart, this is the Duchess of Pembroke," Henry stated introducing Lady Mary to Anne, the smile growing even more at the sight of his beloved who was waiting just off to the side. 

He'd wanted her to take her true place by his side but she had convinced him that perhaps the sight would upset Lady Mary who would still be reeling from her parents annulment.