Chapter Twenty: Meeting with the French

2nd of April 1531 - Calais, France

"My dearest brother," King Francis greeted clapping his English counterpart on the shoulder, he had been most pleased that the English King could make it; there was much for them to discuss and he was hopeful that they could make an alliance. 

With King Henry's recent annulment from the Emperor's aunt dealt with, King Francis had hopes that there would be nothing in the way of a truly beneficial partnership between their two countries. 

"We are here to renew our friendship and that of our two nations," King Francis continued pleased with the fact that King Henry had come to him seeking approval of his new bride. 

A bride that King Francis knew would boost his alliance with the English especially against the Emperor; perhaps even push for them to unite against the man that had caused their two countries so much trouble. 

"Come, let us celebrate," King Henry insisted leading the way, the feast around them was a pleasant enough distraction while they discussed such matters. 

Everything had been planned out carefully, it was too be Anne's introduction to the French King as the future Queen of England afterall; nothing could go amiss when there was so much on the line. 

Taking their seats on the thrones, the two Kings seeming most pleased with how their meeting was going; there was much to be discussed and both had high hopes for their meeting. 

"But where is the Lady Anne?" King Francis asked signalling to the empty seat beside his counterpart, he was most surprised to see that the woman of the hour had not yet arrived. 

The Lady Anne had spent time at his court, not only as a lady-in-waiting to his dear sister but to his late wife as well; he could not help but think that King Henry was a lucky man in deed to have such the chance to marry her. 

"She will be here," King Henry replied reassuring him, he had no doubts that his beloved wanted her entrance to be memorable and he recalled that she had decided to host a dance in the French King's honour. 

For such a meeting was something that should be celebrated especially taking note of the fact that he was hopefully willing to support her marriage to King Henry.

"I am sorry my wife changed her mind about meeting her," King Francis apologised, he didn't need to look at the empty seat at his side to know that Eleanor would not be there. 

She was the niece of Katherine of Aragon, sister to the Emperor and had refused point blank to meet with the King that had set her beloved Aunt aside and the woman that would take her place as Queen of England. 

"But what do you expect? Women are often variable," King Francis mused with a smile, he would not miss her this night and was sure that he would find someone else keep his attention for this night. 

Perhaps one of the many ladies that had accompanied King Henry and the Lady Anne to visit with him; it had been some time since he'd had an English rose and he was unsure when he might have one again. 

"Only madmen believe them," King Henry said in agreement, sipping on his drink while he scanned the room taking in the joyous occasion; things were going well he was most pleased with the effort that had gone into welcoming the French. 

The trip had been an easy one and King Henry could not imagine that anything could get in the way of his plans for this trip; he hoped that with King Francis's backing that none would get in the way of his impending marriage. 

"It is a shame my dear cousin could not attend," King Francis stated, his eyes searching the room not surprised that Clarice was not in attendance; he had hoped to speak with her but it seemed like that would not be possible.