Chapter Forty-Two: Princess Elizabeth

7th of September 1533 - Palace of Placentia

"I want jousts, banquets and masques to celebrate the birth of my son," King Henry announced walking through the hallways, a smile set upon his face at the mere thought that in a matter of hours there should be a new Duke of York. 

It was most pleasing to him that his wife and beloved Queen was preparing to gift him with a second son, this day reminded him greatly of when their cherished Alexander had been born. 

Anne had been labouring for a few hours now and Henry had no doubts that it would not be long before there would be some sort of news; he was most certain that this labour would run just like her last. 

The news had come to him while he had been breaking his fast that morning and he had been most relieved to hear such news; they had waited a long time it felt for this day. 

"I've already asked the French Ambassador to hold him at the font for his christening, if he drops him it's war," King Henry declared, knowing how much that would please Anne who was in favour of a French Alliance more so than an Imperial one. 

Not that King Henry could blame her for such, after everything that he had suffered through with Katherine he had no plans to ally himself with her kin anytime soon. 

If the news that Anne was in labour was not enough to please him then the news that the Duchess of Hertford had found herself with child was; he would be a grandfather in the New Year meaning his line would be secure. 

Walking through the halls, King Henry was pleased that everything was in order and when the moment came that the bells would be rung to let all of England know of their new Duke of York's birth. 

A second son would continue to prove that he was right to discard Katherine further than her acts of treason would, his line would be secured by his children and his legacy would live on. 

With Lady Mary married off and with child, King Henry had turned his attention to Henry Fitzroy knowing that his was high time his son was also married; he had started to look within the Queen's family for such a match. 

Lady Mary Howard had been put forward by her father, the Duke of Norfolk as a possible bride and the King was most pleased with the choice; he had stopped one child from rebelling to take the throne now he would focus on the next.

He had been a fool to advance his bastard son to a Duke twice over, it would prove problems now that he had a healthy son by Anne and another on the way; King Henry was drawing up an act to ensure for certain where the line of succession lay. 

The little Duke of York would want for nothing, King Henry would make certain of that recalling his own time as the spare to the throne and how he had been treated. 

While there would be no denying that Alexander would be King, he would make sure that his younger son would not be forgotten nor would he be destined for the church like he had once been. 

"Is there any news on the Queen?" Henry asked turning to look at those who followed him, the Dukes of Wiltshire, of Bedford and of Suffolk had offered him company while he waited for Anne to be delivered of their son. 

It had felt long a rather long day so far and with no news yet on a delivery, a fleeting moment of concern bubbled in Henry's chest and he wondered if all was well with his wife. 

"Nothing yet Your Majesty," Thomas Boleyn stated with a shake of his head, he was sure they would have news soon enough and all care had been taken to make sure Anne was well before the birth. 

His daughter had been in confinement for a month now and Thomas knew that her mother and sister had been visiting her along with the Lady Mary. 

It disturbed him that Henry's daughter by Katherine was pregnant, it would not do especially if her father decided to truly return her to the succession behind her siblings; they could not risk that her son would not displace Alexander or his brother from the throne.