Chapter Sixty-Two: Leaving for War

25th of November 1534 - Hampton Court Palace

The soft calling of her name slowly stirred Clarice from her sleep, a hand gently shaking her from her slumber and she scrunched her eyes tightly closed wishing to drift back off to sleep; however, the person persisted until she opened her eyes. 

The room was nearly in darkness and Clarice could not imagine what she had been woken at such an hour; she turned to face her husband wondering what the meaning of this was. 

A frown formed on her face upon seeing him, he was dressed as if he were to go riding and Clarice did not believe that His Majesty would be going hunting at such a time. 

It was far too early and the weather had been terrible the past few days, it was certainly not the weather to go chasing stags or the like through the woods; she sat up a little more when she saw the look on his face. 

"I am sorry, my love," George whispered, he wished that he did not have to wake her but he had no other options and he wanted to speak to her before he had to go. 

The news had come straight from the King and he doubted even his sister had known what was being planned before he had been awoken that morning to a messenger; it was time and they had not time to delay. 

Bewilderment coloured her face, Clarice pushed back the covers on her bed so that she might climb from her bed; her mind raced while she tried to work out what was going on. 

"We are to leave for France this night," George told her, he had done what he could to prepare for this moment and as much as he might detest the idea, his father would be on hand to help with the running of their estate. 

Not that for a moment did George think that Clarice would not be able to handle their affairs while he was away; but she was to remain with his sister until he returned and she was heavily pregnant. 

"And from there, we shall make for Italy," George murmured, his eyes lowered down at the thought of what was to come and he prayed God would give him the strength to see it through. 

That he would serve his King and country as was his right would be enough for him, he just hoped that he would be able to return home to his family.

Staring at George, Clarice almost willed herself to be imagining what he had just told her and she had never imagined that this would happen; she had perhaps thought they would have more time than what they had been given. 

Resting her hand on her swelling stomach, Clarice did not know how she would endure the months without him; war could be a costly thing and she did not want it to cost her, her husband.

"You are to leave for war?" Clarice asked, her voice no more than a whisper almost unsure if she had heard her right, a part of her had been convinced that she had heard they would not leave for another few months. 

The very idea that George was not just traveling for the wedding of the Duchess of Calais but then would make his way across France for Italy had never crossed her mind not when she had a child in her belly. 

"It is not what I expected but the council agreed that we must use the element of surprise that we have now or we shall lose it, the Emperor grows suspicious and the marriage of the Duchess of Calais shall only add to that," George explained, he would not cower away nor would he change his mind. 

It was his duty to his country that he served the King in any way that he could, he would fight with his peers to ensure victory against the Emperor and secure Florence for the Medici. 

Not only would they strike back against a Monarch who had attempted to meddle in English affairs but setting the Duchess of Hertford up in Florence would secure the Prince of Wales throne.