Chapter One Hundred & One: Family Reunion

25th of March 1536 - Château de Fontainebleau, France

The trumpets sounded as Queen Elisabeth of France prepared herself, she stared at herself in the mirror as her ladies dressed her for the arrival of the King. 

It had been many months since the royal couple had last seen each other and Elisabeth had immersed herself in the culture of French court as much as she could during her time here. 

Gone where the fashions of her homeland, she was dressed as a French Queen should be in the latest fashions of the court and she hoped that it would greatly please her husband. 

Taking a look at herself in the mirror, Elisabeth watched as her crown was carefully placed upon her head and she swallowed as she felt the weight of it resting atop of her. 

Letting out a steady breath, Elisabeth nodded to her ladies before she turned away from the mirror and held out her arms so that Aubert could be placed in them. 

Her son was the delight of her life, she was so proud to show him off to his royal father and she was most assured that Francis would be pleased with her; she had succeeded on her first attempt to give him a son. 

The line of succession in France needed further securing, her duty here was clear and Elisabeth vowed before God and Country that she would do her part; even if her sons never saw the throne. 

Her little Duke of Anjou was just the start, Elisabeth planned to give Francis as many children as she could; all of them would make grand matches, she had been ever so pleased to her that her boy would marry the younger princess of England. 

It was a great match, one that would secure their alliance with the English throne rather than see the girl married off to a Habsburg especially now they were eager for to join the alliance. 

Isabella had sent on her congratulations at the birth of Prince Aubert, although Elisabeth had been rather stiff to receive them given the timing. 

Afterall, Charles had been content to overthrow the Valois crown of France if he had his way; he saw any Valois as dirt beneath his feet and there was no love lost between the two countries even now. 

Leaving her chambers and making her way down to greet the arriving party, Elisabeth kept a steady pace as many gathered to greet the royal party on its triumphant return from war.

There was much for them to celebrate, the coronation of King Charles IV of Naples had been presided over by Pope Paul III who had spoken of his great love and friendship for the alliance. 

His election only months earlier coming as no surprise, Elisabeth had heard that he was a favourite of the new Duke of Florence who had traded his new daughter for support from the Pope. 

Marguerite of Navarre was waiting as Elisabeth exited the palace, she smiled at her sister-in-law pleased to see that she had arrived for Francis had made his entrance; no doubt her brother was prepared to put on a display of glory upon his return. 

The royal nursery seemed to be emptying out now that Charles was away in Naples with plans already being made for Madeleine's marriage to the King of Scots in the coming year. 

Francis, Henri and Margaret remained from the King's first marriage, with no plans cemented yet for the marriage of his eldest son and heir or his younger daughter. 

Then there was Henri's marriage of two and a half years, which still showed no signs of bearing children; although Marguerite couldn't quite blame Catherine for lack of child when Henri refused to share her bed. 

The two of them were now of age and Marguerite had done all that she could to nudge her nephew in the right direction, he seemed to resist her more each time she brought up consummating his marriage to the Medici girl.