Chapter Thirty-Six: The Aragon Madness

15th of October 1532 - London, England

"How fairs Katherine?" King Henry asked knowing that his former wife's time in the Tower of London had been far longer than he had intended, it had taken time for a full investigation to be done and he'd written to the Emperor about Katherine's plans. 

Her conspirators had all been rounded up and so far, the King was pleased to find so few had been willing to side with the Spanish Princess's folly when Anne had given him a son. 

The few that had conspired with Katherine had found themselves in the Tower alongside her and were awaiting the signing of their execution warrants that now sat before their King. 

Now it was left for them to decide what would be done with Katherine, executing her was out of the question lest they court a war with the Emperor now or in the future. 

"Her Highness ranted that the rains would not come until she was released from the Tower and the injustice against her had been corrected," Sir Kingston stated taking a quick glance to the window where it poured down, the clouds dark and it seemed like it had been raining for days keeping the court inside. 

The weather had not let up in days and the Constable of the Tower had to muse whether the woman knew that her rants which were increasing in number by the day would only be used against her. 

The council seemed almost amused by the news that Katherine thought that God would punish England for her arrest when she had been plotting against an anointed King and Queen conspiring to kill the future King of England. 

"She also stated that the might of her nephew, the Emperor will fall upon England should she not be released," Kingston continued with a shake of his head, his wife was currently serving as one of Katherine's ladies and her reports had been most helpful. 

The King had allowed a few of Katherine's ladies to remain, people that he thought would not be as loyal as some others in her service to the woman that now stood charged with treason. 

"The Emperor has no such plans to do so... he commends Your Majesty for dealing with such a threat as his aunt and says that she must share the same madness that afflicts his own mother," Cromwell stated holding up the most recent letter from the Emperor.

The man was unlikely to pick a fight with England while he hoped to see an alliance with them instead of them joining forces with the French against him; he had even sent over a marriage proposal for the young Prince Alexander.

The Emperor's words gave the King something to consider, a plan forming in his mind about how to handle the woman that had caused him no end of problems; it was an offer that he had once given her that she had rejected. 

Perhaps the Habsburg had a point and that there was perhaps a madness that the Aragon sisters shared; it would be reasonable to suspect that Joanna was not the only sister to suffer from this. 

"Perhaps the Emperor is correct, you say that she rants that the rains will not come to England while she remains locked up?" King Henry mused leaning forward in his seat, a plan forming in his mind on how to finally deal with the problem that Katherine presented. 

There could be no executing her nor could they send her back to Spain or send her back to live in her country estate; they could not allow her to insight a war against them no matter where she was. 

"Yes. Your Majesty. She's also declared that the Duchess of Hertford will take the throne and that God shall strike down those who attempt to stop her," Kingston reported dutifully, he moved to give the King the parchment that he had written out detailing the Infanta's behaviour since she had been in his care at the Tower.