Chapter Twenty-Six: The Boleyn Delivery

19th of January 1532 - The Palace of Beaulieu

Screaming in agony, Clarice clutched at her ladies hands as she continued to labour with her first child; her waters had broken early that morning and she had spent most of the day labouring to bring her child into the world. 

She had never felt anything like this before and Clarice just wanted it to be over, the hours felt like they weren't moving fast enough nor was she any closer to delivering. 

"You're doing so well, you're nearly there," Elizabeth Boleyn encouraged, wiping a damp cloth across the top of Clarice's head to try and cool her down; her words soft as she spoke knowing that it wouldn't be too long now. 

Having laboured for most of the day, it would surely not be long before the child made it's way into the world; the labour had been slow to start but things were starting to speed up now. 

Clarice gritted her teeth trying to clam down on the shout of pain that threatened to spill from her lips; she could not understand why women had to suffer in such a way. 

Surely if penance was needed for another's wrong doing then the debt would have been repaid, she did not see how women did this multiple times and she just wanted it to be over already. 

"We can see the head now, Your Grace," the midwife encouraged glad that the babe was making progress, it had been a long day for the mother and she was pleased to see that the delivery was going as smooth as she hoped it would. 

There was no denying that she found herself feeling rather nervous when it came to the delivery; for every three labours that she attended one would end in sorrow. 

Clarice gritted her teeth, focusing on pushing her babe into the world; she was sure once she was done that her hard work would be rewarded in holding her child for the first time. 

She gave one last almighty push and collapsed back against her pillows just as a shrill cry filled the room, she barely heard the words that Elizabeth said to her in congratulations of her delivery of her child. 

The midwife handed the newborn off to Isotta to clean up once the cord had been cut and prepared to deliver the placenta while Isotta dealt with cleaning the newborn up before they were given to their mother.

Once the placenta had been delivered, Clarice's ladies helped clean their mistress and take aay the soiled bedding; once everything was clear of the signs of birth, they allowed her to rest in her best. 

Clarice's eyes never left her baby while she was cleaned up, she could not believe that she had done it nor the fact that her child seemed most health given the sharp cry that they had produced. 

Wandering over to where the midwife was checking her grandchild over, Elizabeth couldn't help but smile at the sight of the her grandchild; she was very sure that this one would have a bright future. 

"You have given birth to a very healthy baby girl," Elizabeth informed Clarice taking the baby once the midwife was done with her checks and walking over to the bed where Clarice was resting. 

It would not be long before the news spread that the baby had been born, her father would certainly be over joyed and Elizabeth had no doubts that she would be strong like her mother. 

Handing the baby over, Elizabeth could only imagine how Thomas would take the news that Clarice had been delivered of a daughter instead of the grandson that he craved; she was almost thankful that he was at court right now. 

The last thing that she wanted was any upset at this joyous occasion, she was thrilled at the birth of her son's first child and she had no doubts that George would feel the same.