Chapter Fifty-One: The Hunting Trip

2nd of March 1534 - Great Bedwyn, Wiltshire

Riding through the forest with those who he considered his most loyal friends, King Henry was relieved to get away from the palace for even the shortest amount of time; he could not shake the fact that Anne had failed in for a second time. 

However, it was his wife's latest behaviour that had thrown him more than he would have liked to admit; she had been calm and even ignored his attention drifting to other ladies of the court. 

Instead of throwing a fit or attempting to have ladies removed from his attention, Anne had instead focused solely on their children; throwing herself into dotting upon their children. 

This was certainly not what he had expected, of course she did not shun him and was warm with him when he was in her presence but he could not determine her sudden change in behaviour. 

The rain poured down around them and a frown formed on his face as the weather continued to get worse; he had hoped that hunting would distract him from Anne's odd behaviour towards him. 

"The weather seems to have taken a turn for the worst," Charles shouted seeming to catch on to what Henry had been thinking, he pulled his horse up alongside his old friend knowing that they were far from a Palace or any royal buildings. 

It would take too long for them to return to Hampton Court Palace, they would be soaked and the weather seemed to be deteriorating faster meaning that there was a chance that they could find themselves trapped in the coming storm. 

"My family seat of Wulfhall is nearby, Your Majesty," Edward Seymour informed them from his position beside George, he had been surprised when his cousin had approached him about attending a royal hunt with the King. 

It was most pleasing to find that the Boleyns were recognising more than their Howard relatives but those who would benefit most from their rise. 

He and his brothers had found good positions at court, his sisters had been welcomed into the Queen's household and Edward had no doubts that they would be rewarded for their loyalty.

"To Wulfhall then," Henry ordered spurring his horse onwards, anything to get out of this pouring rain and not wishing to return to the Palace where the court was waiting for him; where he would have to face his wife. 

The anger and disappointment that he had originally felt at the loss of their child had slowly disappeared though he had yet to return to her bed; they dined together when they were able to. 

The ride towards the Seymour seat in the countryside was silent, each man urging on their horse as the wind howled around them and the rain started to pelt them with each step that they made towards the manor. 

Slowly the home of the Seymour family came into view, the timber framed double courtyard house stood out in the rain and Edward felt a little proud at being able to welcome the King and his Kin to his home. 

Entering the courtyard, the men were quick to dismount their horses and handed them off to the Master of Horses before making their way into the warmth of Wulfhall. 

"Lady Mother," Edward greeted moving to kiss her cheek, this had been short notice and he knew that their simple home was nowhere as grand as the Palaces where the King had spent his entire life. 

He stepped aside so that she might greet the King before moving to speak with one of the servants so that they might inform his father of the royal guest. 

"Welcome to Wulfhall, Your Majesty," Lady Margery Seymour greeted, she ducked into a curtsy in greeting to her King and was almost in awe of the fact that her home would provide shelter to royalty.