☆ 5.37 ~ bridges

there'll be exits along the road
there'll be so many ways to go
but i'll stick through it
oh, i swear
~ aisha badru, bridges

20 comments until the next chapter
question of the chapter: is there anything you're hoping to see in this fanfic? literally can be anything.

Rae leaned against the dryer, her eyes closing as she let out a tired sigh. Elijah did call her back after he confronted Klaus, but it looked like that led to a dead end. Klaus didn't have anyone watching Lydia, at least that's what he said. And Kol and Elijah both believed he was telling the truth. But Klaus having someone watch them would be less creepy, in Rae's opinion. At least Klaus made it clear he didn't want to kill Lydia, and couldn't. But Rae had no idea what this person wanted.

"Is there any way I can convince you to return to the manor?" Elijah asked her, but Rae just shook her head, not that he could see.

"No, I'll be fine," Rae assured him."This is my home. Not the manor. Besides, I'd rather not go to where Rebekah is at. And we have this handled. Someone breaking into our house is probably the least dangerous thing someone's done against us."

"Having someone intrude your private space when they are not supposed to be there can be upsetting," Elijah reminded her."Being a vampire does not negate that."

"I know that it doesn't, but it's late, what else can I do?" Rae said with a sigh."This is my home. I don't feel as safe anywhere else. And I'm not alone. Lydia, Alyssa, and Stefan are all here."

"Yes, and this person could be after all three of them, not you," Elijah reminded her."We know little about Alyssa's past and Lydia and Stefan have made more than enough enemies."

"So what? I'm just supposed to leave them?" Rae scoffed at the idea."Besides, I spent two years dating your sister. And I'm friends with you. How do I know someone who hates your family isn't after me?"

She could hear Elijah let out a sigh on the other end of the phone, hoping she didn't make him feel guilty. She knew that all of the Mikaelsons were worried about getting close to people for that same reason, and she didn't want to make him think that she was afraid of her life just because she knew them.

"Look, I need to um, get some sleep, can I call you back in the morning?" Rae asked, placing her hand on the back of her neck.

"I will speak to you then," He agreed."Goodnight, Rae."

"Goodnight."

Lydia was almost certain that she was still dreaming. Not just any dream, but a nightmare. She wished that she was. That she could pinch her arm and wake up, be back under the warm covers that his her away from the rest of the world. She decided to skip class the next day. Given that her house had been broken into, she didn't think anyone would think anything of it. When she woke up, Stefan was already gone. But when she made her way down the stairs, she could hear his voice at the bottom. Along with two other voices, one of which she really did not want to hear.

"What are you doing here?" The question left Lydia's lips as soon as she laid eyes on Sheriff Forbes. Caroline's mother. Stefan had mentioned asking her for her thoughts last night, Lydia specifically said no. She wanted nothing to do with her. Not since she learned that her parents weren't acting alone. They had help. From the council. From Sheriff Forbes. Even after her parents died, even after she learned of and accepted Caroline as a vampire and Damon as her friend, she didn't tell Lydia the truth. And now, Lydia had a secret of her own that she wasn't sharing. But not sharing it was a lot easier when she didn't have to look her in the eye.