We Have To Save The Remnants Of Despair!

Mokotos pov

"Here drink up" kyoko handed me a cup of coffee. I took it gratefully.

"Thanks. I needed that boost" I sighed. Today's been a pretty stressful day but no one said saving a dying world would be easy. It's the path I chose for myself so no point complaining-

"Mokoto" kazuichi burst through the door looking frantic "mokoto you have to help me"

"Hey hey just calm down and take a seat" I said gently. He nodded and took a seat "ok now tell me what happened"

"It's future foundation! They want to kill the remnants of despair!"

"And why on earth would that upset you" byakuya walked in "they imprisoned you did they not?"

"Well yeah but they were my friends before-"

"Heh. With friends like that you'll hardly need enemies" he chuckled.

"It wasn't their fault!" He stood up suddenly, his fists trembling "it was junko who brainwashed them! They were good people before she got her hands on them!"

"That may be true but it doesn't change what they did" kyoko said softly "I'm sorry kazuichi but we can't defend people who've done such unspeakable acts"

"Mokoto. You'll help me won't you?" He looked at me pleadingly. I knew what the logical thing to do was but I couldn't turn my back on him.

"Of course I'll help you"

"Oh thank you!" He dived into my chest, crying tears of relief.

"Think about what you're saying neagi" byakuya said sharply "this is a terrorist group-"

"And they're also Junko's victims" I snapped back"I won't turn my back on them!"

"You can't be serious" he muttered in disbelief.

I looked down at the boy hugging me and smiled "I've never been more serious in my life"

Kyoko smiled to herself "I think we know by now that when mokoto has an idea there's no talking him out of it. All we can do is support him as his friends"

Byakuya glared at us before letting out a sigh of defeat "I should have known your ridiculous savour complex wouldn't simply end after the killing game. I suppose I'll have to come along to make sure you don't mess everything up"

"Thank you byakuya" I nodded greatfully before turning my attention to the tearful boy "it's alright now kazuichi. We're going to save your friends so please don't cry"

"I owe everything to you" he wiped his tears on his sleeves.

"Nonsense. I'm just doing my job" I smiled warmly. These are the moments I live for. Bringing hope where everything seems hopeless.

I think it might be my calling in life.