Chapter 70

Jaces POV

I have no idea how long I've been sat in this interview space. My head is spinning, I can't believe she's pregnant again. I'm praying she keeps this one. It could be my only chance for a child with her if this goes badly. I'm not sure if it's selfish for me to feel like this though. I could be looking at real jail time here. I hear the door unlock and I stand. It's Grace. She has all her stuff on her. I knew they had no real charges pending against her. I feel a huge weight lift off my shoulders knowing my girl is free and not dragged into this shit. I know I have to be careful with what I say though because she could actually be charged with perverting the cause of justice.

She runs to me and I hold her tightly I don't ever want to let her go. Especially if this is one of the last times I get to see her like this. She twists away from the window. And wispers so quietly
"They have your Glock, a bullet and a witness." Shit this is bad.
"I love you too." I reply out loud so they don't think it's weird. Who the fuck could the witness be? I'm looking in her eyes and I can see she's trying to tell me everything she knows but can't say. My mind turns to Grace. If they freeze my assets she will have nothing but her normal salary. Wait do they keep paying that if I'm in jail? I have no idea. I need to make sure she has enough money though especially if she's pregnant.
"Grace I need to sign everything over to you. Just incase. The company needs a CEO I trust. They might freeze my assets but I'm certain they can't freeze yours. I'm not going to see you with nothing. I need you to have the best care and keep the house warm till I'm home."
"They can't Freeze mine if they aren't linked to you." Shit I forgot she studied law. Of course she knows.
"Who do I call Grace?" She bites her lip.
"I don't think you should call Chris-tian." Who the fuck is Christian? I look at her confused. She widens her eyes. She's trying to tell me something.
Shit Chris. She thinks the witness is Chris. Why would he turn on me like this?
"I'll reach out to him, save your call for Charles Jace. He will know what to do. Who do you want me to call as your attorney?"
"You?" I smile and joke. She shakes her head she's being too serious right now.
"I've never taken the bar here. I can't. I can advise council though if that's what you want?"
"I do." She nods. She hugs me again. "It's bad. I'm scared Jace, if they move you out of state you're in trouble so you need to behave."
" I will I promise Baby. I'm so sorry this is happening now." She leans in again and whispers so quietly I'm not even sure I heard it.
"The bullet is the one that hit me. They're trying to work out why I'd be hit by your bullet." I'm praying they aren't noticing this but it's good information to know. They obviously told grace this for a reason, they're watching her like a hawk I bet but she's smart. Right now all I can think about is the baby though and I know I have 9 months to think about this but that's all I have right now.
"I want to be there for your first scan Grace." Our first scan is where it all fell to shit last time. I need to be there for her.
"Once your bail is set we will pay it Jace. I'm still not convinced they can charge you right now. I'll be back tomorrow with Enzo and the attorney for Atlas, what do you want me to do with TSC?"
"You need to keep it turning a profit Grace. I cannot stress that enough now." She needs to know that's my only ticket out of here.
"I love you but please don't fuck my companies up." She laughs. I wrap my arms around her and look at her tiny tummy.
"How far Grace?"
"I was going to get it confirmed tomorrow but I think maybe 6 weeks?" I smile and kiss her forehead.
"Tell me tomorrow. If you need a scan tomorrow please pay for some photos. I'm so sad to miss this again." She takes a deep breath. I know she feels my level of pain too. I put my hand on her currently flat tummy.
"I'll be there Grace, I'm not missing this. I love you so much." I hear the door unlock and I pull her in and squeeze her tightly.
"Call me or whatever happens in this situation. I need to sign over to you as soon as. Get my attorney call Enzo. You'll be the CEO but he needs to run things Grace. TSC needs Charles to run it for a bit but don't let it loose a dime." She nods and kisses me, it's a wet kiss covered in tears but she leaves the room peacefully and I'm joined by the detective who arrested us.
"Quite the women, Grace. She's exquisite isn't she."
"She is."
"I'm sure if anyone hurt her you'd be enraged."
"I would, are you questioning me without a lawyer present?"
"Do you want me to get one?"
"No I'm ok for now but I'll want one tomorrow."
"Yes tomorrow is going to be a long day for you."
"I work in business, every day is long."
"I'm sure the day they threatened to rape your wife was long too?"
"Someone threatened to rape her? Who?" I try to sound genuine about this.
"Don't lie to me. I have it on good authority that yourself and a friend shot 5 people between you."
"That's a load."
"Mr Atlas im not messing with you. You're facing life imprisonment. Or worse!" He's peaked my interest with this.
"Im not worried."
"You might if I arrange a transfer to Texas."
"Why what's in Texas." I already know the answer to this.
"Well Jace, can I call you Jace?" I nod. "You could potentially be a serial killer. In Texas serial killers you see well they're tried to the death penalty, I can see Graces face holding your infant now while they give you the lethal injection." This image stirs my anger but I have to fight it down, it's what he wants to happen. If I so much as lift a fist a him im being locked up forever.
"I haven't done anything wrong."
"Why do you have a 9.7mm Glock then, and why do I have a bullet with Graces blood. Also Jace I have a witness that confirms he shot two but you shot 3 so I'm quite close to nailing you. I just need a bit more information from you."
"Can I make my call?"
"Yeah why not, you're not going anywhere."
He stands up and leaves the room. Shit this is bad I'm really hoping Grace can find out why Chris is giving evidence. I pace around the room. My head is in a real state right now I really need Charles to come through for me. The door unlocks.
"I've been told to take you for your call?"
"Yeah thanks." I follow the lady who was nice with Grace to the collection of phones on the wall. There are a few people on them and she guides me to an empty one. I type in Charles number and it rings.
"Hello?"
"Charles it's me."
"Where are you calling from?"
"Jail. I'm fucking calling from Jail."
"Why? What do they have?"
"I'm not sure call Grace she knows. Charles I need help here. Grace told me tonight she's pregnant I can't leave her like this."
"Wow congratulations. Okay I know buddy I know. I'll call Pete tonight see what he says after Grace. Then I'll know what I'm working on. Whose your attorney going to be?"
"I'm not sure yet."
"Do me a favour and don't appoint one till I've spoke to Grace."
"Why?"
"Just trust me mate."
"Tomorrow I'm signing Atlas and TSC to Grace. She knows she has to keep it making money. I trust her she's good."
"Good call. Jace don't worry we will sort it."
"How soon?"
"I'll try get you out tonight."
"Mate I'd be greatful Grace is going to the doctor to confirm I really need to be there with her if I can."
"Jace keep your head down. I'll go to yours now."
"Thanks"
I hang the phone up and just stand there for a moment. I trust Charles it's why I went to him. I just hope Grace can tell him everything. The officer comes over to me and gives me a sympathetic smile. She walks me back to the room I came from. I'm beginning to wonder why they aren't putting me in a holding cell. The prick of a detective comes back in.
"I hope you didn't waste your call." I smile and shake my head.
"No I think it was useful thank you for allowing it." I say far too politely and I chuckle to myself.
"So, let's talk about Grace."
"What about her?"
"She seems intelligent, interesting that her parents were killed by yours. I bet that's quite the strain on a marriage."
"Not really, it was a accident and before both our time."
"Mmmm. I'm sure. You have an extensive wrap sheet of both good and bad don't you Jace? Quite the womaniser in college."
"I was till I met her."
"You fucked with girls for sport Jace, do you expect me to think that you just change your entire persona for one girl?"
"I did. She was different. She was everything to me from the day I met her."
"That's nice, so why did she leave you?"
"I fucked up."
"How so?"
"She lost a baby because of me. I took her work away from her. I made her feel like shit. I guess some would say I abused her."
"Physically?"
"Never, I'd never hurt her."
"Mmm curios." He's referring to the bullet with her blood on it.
"So you chase her to Scotland."
"I needed her."
"She didn't need you?"
"She was doing fine without me it's true. I didn't have to invade her life I could have left her in peace."
"But you couldn't?" I shake my head. He's doing my head in but I've got to keep calm. Grace will kill me if I'm locked away for life. Hell I'd kill myself.
"Why?"
"Isn't that obvious?"
"Not to me."
"I love her, more than anything so yes if you're asking if I'm capable of killing someone for her, it would depend on the situation." I decide to skip to his point I'm fed up now.
"If someone threatened her?" I shake my head.
"People make threats all the time, I'm not going to sacrifice my life with her over words."
"Someone shot her?" I don't know if he knows about our shared bullet wound.
"You're referring to this?" I raise my T-shirt. He narrows his eyes.
"I believe she has an identical scar does she not?"
"She does."
"How does someone come to have the same bullet whole as their partner?"
"I made an enemy, they held me responsible for their sisters death. They wanted to see me suffer. They shot us both. Grace lost an Overy. I suffered."
"That's not a threat though is it Mr Atlas."
"I was in no fit state to hurt anyone, or do you forget I too had a bullet hole in my flank."
"Mmm so how did a bullet from the gun you own hit Grace."
"I have no idea. Wait..didn't you say the bullet is a 9.7mm?" He nods.
"It is."
"You said I have a Glock registered in your possession?" He nods.
"What is it?"
"It's a Glock 19, you purchased it in September 2020."
"That's curios isn't it?"
"What do you mean by that."
"My Glock 19 is loaded with 9mm ammunition. The bullet you claim I shot cannot have came from my gun." I smile. I've got him. The gun they have isn't the right one. The evidence is fake. It does mean Chris was the one that shot that bullet that hit Grace, mine missed. The detective looks pale he knows his case has just fallen down. He stands and leaves the room.