Chapter 62

Graces POV

I should have known Jace was going to fall off the wagon. It was always coming, he'd been too good for too long. I left the house and got a cab too Atlas. I don't know why I came here. I was hoping I'd find some manuscripts to go through as soon as I walk into the building I know it's a mistake, I don't even know where my office is. I go to a receptionist who looks up.
"Here I thought I was the only Grinch who works over Christmas." I smile and force a laugh.
"Grace Atlas office?" I reply. The women raises a brow but decides she can't be bothered to query who I am.
"Top floor, office on the left." I nod. I walk to the elevator and hit the top floor button. The lift takes a while, I'm not surprised it's a really tall sky scraper. The elevator dings and I step out. A pretty lady in her 40s smiles at me.
"Hi." She says.
"Hello."
"Are you looking for someone?" I shake my head. I can see my name on the office opposite Jaces.
"No I'm just here to work."
"Oh I'm so sorry there's no open desks on this floor. This is just the board floor sorry." I smile.
"My office is just there." I point and smile.
"Oh my god I'm so sorry. I'm Ivy. You must be Grace." Ivy..Jaces assistant.
"Hiya, is everything set up in there?"
"Yes I literally just put the manuscripts sent over from Edinburgh office."
"Thanks." I walk to my office and open the door. It's decorated like my Edinburgh one. The view out of this one is far superior though. New York peeks through the cloud layer. I sit in the chair and just look out into the sky. I hear a knock at the door at first I panic it will be Jace but I know he's drunk again.
"Hi Grace, I'm Harvey." I smile.
"Hi Harvey"
"I'm head of PR. My office is just over there." He points to the one to the right of Jaces.
"Nice, thanks."
"Seen as it's just you me and Ivy in do you want to grab some lunch?" I look at the clock it's nearly half 1 now.
"I'd love that." He walks in and passes me some menus.
"Email me your order. My treat."
"Thank you." He walks out the office with a wave. I send him over a order for a burger and fries. He replies with a smiley face. It's not long before Ivy pops her head in.
"Food is here!" I smile and follow her into a meeting room.
"This is where all the board normally meet but I figured we can eat here." I smile and nod Harvey hands me my food. Everyone's so nice.
"How was your Christmas?"
"Um well, Jaces company kinda came under fire because of my family so it wasnt great but it was nice up till then." Harvey looks up.
"I completely forgot you are Jaces wife. How is that?" I raise a brow.
"Being Jaces wife?" He nods me and Ivy look at each other and laugh.
"It's different, I'm not like a rich person, so him just buying stuff is a bit crazy to me. He pulled strings and got me into Columbia. I'd never have been able to even afford to go there if it wasn't for him."
"Shit Grace. Columbia? That's amazing!" Harvey replies. Ivy and Harvey seem really nice. Harvey seems young to be so senior in a company but then again so is Jace. My chest squeezes at the thought of Jace. I finish my lunch and thank Harvey promising the next one is on me. I return to my office with a coffee and dig into a manuscript. I make comments and advise. I email authors with recommendations and design teams for cover ideas. I write a draft email for Jace with all the attachments and my comments as per my job role. I don't send it yet, I don't want to tell him where I am although I question if Ivy might have. I glance at the clock it's 6pm. I walk to the corridor and peak my head out, Ivy and Harvey are no where to be seen so I assume they have left. I pick up the next manuscript and go lie on the sofa. I'm absorbed in reading it until I clearly drift off.

I wake up to my phone buzzing. I roll over and glance at my phone. It's 3am. I have 50 missed calls from Jace. I'm not normally one to avoid but I don't have the energy to argue with him again. I turn my phone off and roll back over. This sofa is surprisingly comfortable.

When I wake up my face is buried in the sofa. I can see daylight which means it's atleast 8am. I roll over onto my back and my eyes meet Jaces. He's sat on the arm chair by the end of the sofa. He's in his black hoodie and joggers, the bags under his eyes tells me he didn't sleep again last night.