Chapter 65

Graces POV

When we return home after our dinner I climb straight into bed I'm exhausted. Jaces romantic gestures are sweet and I love him talking about having a child and sorting his self out but I'm learning not to hinge on the hope of having a baby any time soon. Aside from the fact Jace changes his mind like the weather we also rely on my one overy feeling generous. I don't have work tomorrow Jace gave everyone the day off so I'm hoping for a good lie in. Jace stalks into the bedroom in his usual beautiful way.
"I'm surprised you're still up!" He says
"I was just thinking." I smile
"Oh no should I be scared?" He teases and I shake my head.
"I'm excited for the party tomorrow!" He smiles
"Me too, I think it'll be the best New Year's party Atlas has thrown in years."
"It's a shame it's not Atlas throwing it though." I tease and he nods.
Jace climbs into bed and we both fall asleep quickly.

When I wake up Jace is still asleep which doesn't happen often. I decide to sneak downstairs and make us some breakfast. I slide on his black shirt from yesterday and pad downstairs quietly. I'm surprised when I find a little lady downstairs cleaning.
"Good morning you must be Mrs Atlas. I'm so sorry normally no one's home when I come to clean." I smile
"No no it's fine, please call me Grace"
"Hi Grace I'm Deb i clean for Mr Atlas."
"Just our house?" She shakes her head.
"No I clean everything for him, the offices, any apartments you know. I've cleaned for the family for years." I smile and nod.
"It's lovely to meet you Deb. I was going to make some pancakes would you like some?" I've never had a cleaner or this situation for the matter im not entirely sure what im suppose to do or act.
"No no im fine thank you though. You're as kind as he said you were though!" I blush
"Thanks...umm have you cleaned the kitchen?"
"No not yet; I'll wait for you to finish." I nod and smile walking into the kitchen. I grab all the ingredients out for pancakes and start making the batter. Deb walks in and smiles. She watches me for a second.
"Can I show you something?" She notions to the pancake.
"Sure."
"When Mr Atlas was a boy he use to love it when his mother put a banana in the mix, we also put a tiny bit of baking powder in and they rise delightfully." She walks over to the pantry and puts some baking powder in and mashed banana.
"Thank you." I smile at her.
"You must know them all very well."
"I'd like to think so, I've cleaned since Jace was a young boy for them. I was pleased when his father passed the baton to Jace. He's a very sweet man." I smile hearing her assessment of Jace.
"He is. Are you coming tonight?" She nods and smiles.
"Yes. Jace always extends the invite to the New Year's parties to my family and I. Quite the theme this year." I nod and laugh. We put the pancake batter in the pan and cook it up. It's not long till Jace stalks into the kitchen.
"Hey Deb." He says
"Good Morning Mr Atlas." Jace rolls his eyes
"What have I said about that."
"Sorry Jace, habit!" He laughs and walks over to me and hugs me from behind.
"What do we have here?" I smile.
"Deb and I made pancakes, like the ones you use to love." He smiles and kisses my cheek.
"Deb let you into the secret did she." He jokes and smiles at her. It's nice seeing Jace this way. I know he's a nice boss, but Debs different he treats her like family. Oddly, she feels like family.
"I'll go make your bed now."
"Thank you." Me and Jace say together and she smiles.
"I like your shirt, it looks familiar?" Jace teases pulling at the hem.
"I like it too, it smells like you, like clean business you." Jace raises a brow.
"And that's different from me normally is it?" He laughs and I nod.
"T-shirt you smells like Dior, cigarettes and mint, business you smells like Versace and mint. I love them both equally."
"I love you." He smiles and kisses my lips gently. I smile back and take the pancakes out the pan and put them on a plate. Jace carries the plate to the dining table and we both tuck into them.
"These are actually really good Grace."
"You sound surprised." He laughs
"What are your plans for today?"
"I thought I'd go try get my hair and makeup done for tonight somewhere this afternoon."
He nods.
"Do you mind if I meet Charles to go over some bits for tonight?" I raise a brow.
"I'm not going to say no but it sits uncomfortably with me, what's going to happen tonight." Jace moves in his seat uncomfortably.
"Well we are going to party and have fun."
"And?"
"Tonight will be my first night at the table. Every new years they hold a oil trade board meeting, all the city officials and pretty much every big player in the industry will be there. Obviously myself and Charles are hosts so I very much have to go along with how it is."
"I know what you mean."
"I did say I couldn't promise Grace. I'll try not to ruin your night but this is going to be life now, I have to be their equal or they have no reason to help me." I chuckle I don't mean to but my thoughts float to my thinking about Jace being a gangster, he's literally going to play gangster tonight.
"I understand."
"It's the price to be paid for my freedom. You know that." I just nod and eat another pancake there's not a lot of point arguing with Jace about this. I'm painfully aware of how I can't live without this man, more so now we are here in New York married. I finish my pancakes and take the plate to the dishwasher. I can hear Jace sigh behind me.
"Grace c'mon please don't be mad at me."
"I'm not I was just thinking about it."
"What about?" I shrug and bite the inside of my cheek.
"I hate it. Like I just do. But I'm also painfully aware of how I can't be without you, I can't imagine anything worse than you being at arms length. So no, I'm not happy about it but I won't bother arguing about it again because I can't imagine anything worse than you not being here." He stands up and walks over, he leans into the dishwasher and stands infront of me and pulls me into him.
"I'm never going to leave you, not if I don't have to. Which is why I'm doing this." I nod and tuck myself into his chest.
"Are you excited for college next week?"
"Good subject change." I reply.
"Are you?"
"Yeah I am, I'm a bit worried about it."
"I'll be there."
"What?!"
"Yeah, they changed my Econ presentation to next week."
"No Jace you cannot be serious."
"I am afraid I am. They've asked me to give the certificates out at the graduation this year."
"Well I am mighty glad it's not mine." We both laugh. It's going to be weird getting a lecture from my husband but kind of really sexy all at the same time. I glance at the clock.
"I should get going. I have no idea where I'm going." I laugh.
"Me too I'm suppose to be meeting Charles in half an hour." I roll my eyes.
"Do you need the car?"
"It's your car, I'll be fine I'll order a town car." He replies and I smile. Although a wave of worry flashes through my stomach at driving through New York in my big SUV. I run upstairs and Google some salon. I ring around and find one with space. I slip into some yoga pants and a hoodie and tie my hair up. I pass Jace in the hallway and give him a kiss goodbye. When I arrive in the garage the car is not in its usual place, a tell tale sign someone else drove it home at some point. I hop in and select my driving position. I type in the address on the sat nav and pull onto the busy New York roads. I'm suddenly greatful for such a high tech car. I'm nearly 10 minutes into my journey when I realise I forgot my hair piece. Shit I call Jace hoping he's still at home and can drop it off.
"Hello?"
"Hey it's me."
"I know Grace." He laughs
"What's up?"
"Don't kill me."
"Shit what happened to the car." I can't help but laugh.
"No nothing like that, I left my hair piece in the dressing room."
"Right?"
"I'm getting my hair done.."
"I can bring it but I'll be with Charles he's getting me in 10."
"Yeah that's fine. I'm at 222 East 32nd."
"I know the place."
"Thank you, I love you super sorry!" He laughs.
"It's fine I'll see you shortly." He hangs up just as I pull into a nearby car park. I pay the attendant and run down the pavement to the salon, it's almost my appointment time and I hate being late. I make it just in time and walk in. A nice lady looks at me and smiles.
"Grace?" I nod
"Yeah that's me!"
"Amazing! Take a seat. What can I do for you today?"
"I'm a bit rooty so could I have my blonde topped up and then I need a like hair up thing with a head piece. My husbands going to drop it off shortly I hope that's ok?"
"Yeah of course! Let's get the dye on and we can go from there." I thank her and she disappears. A young girl asks if I'd like a coffee I accept and wait for her to return with it. I'm just relaxing when I catch Jace walking along the sidewalk and into the hair salon. Jace walks into the shop and glances around looking for me. I give him a wave and he gives me a toothy smile and walks over to me. I glance around and nearly every women is staring at him. He does look striking in his black suit and white shirt.
"Hey baby." He passes me the box with the hair piece in.
"Thank you so much you're a life saver."
"It's fine don't worry. We actually decided to sort things out in a club down the road Charles owns." I raise a brow.
"It's just a normal night club baby. It's where Charles is now. I really should be getting back."
"Well thanks again." Jace leans in and whispers.
"Why is everyone staring at us?" I laugh
"Because you're really hot Jace and this is a salon full of women." He raises a brow and looks around, most the women here are in their mid to late 40s.
"I see...well this has been suitably awkward." I laugh. He kisses my lips and puts his hand on my cheek. I can tell his just trying to prove that he's mine but I love it all the same.
"Text me when you're nearly done and I'll come up and come home with you." I nod.
"Thanks again."
"I love you."
"Don't do anything I wouldn't do." I wink and he gives me another toothy smile and leaves. His Versace scent lingering makes me smile. When did I get so lucky. My hair dresser walks over.
"Your husband is so hot." I laugh and nod.
"He definitely is. But he knows it." She laughs and begins to paint my hair with bleach.

It's nearly 4 hours later and I now have my makeup done and she's finishing my hair off with the piece Jace brought over. I text Jace letting him know I'm almost done and he's replied saying he's left to come get me.

"And voila!" The stylist says I look in the mirror and smile I look pretty if I do say so myself. Before I can say thank you Jace walks into the shop and says
"Fuck." Far too loudly when he sees me.
"Shit im so sorry." He apologises to the room and laughs. I laugh and stand up all the women are looking between me and Jace. I just know their all wishing they were in their 20s and had this.
"You look fucking amazing Grace." I blush but im fairly certain you can't see through the makeup. I stand up to pay and Jace pulls me out the way.
"You really thought I was going to let you pay?" He raises a brow. I had intended on paying. Jace pays and I suspect he's left a large tip because the stylists eyes have lit up.
"Thanks so much, enjoy your evening." She waves as we leave the shop. Jace takes my hand and I walk to the car park I left the car in. I pass Jace the keys and he slides into the drivers seat.