Chapter 2

My mind is a million miles an hour. How is it possible that he is here? Here in this beautiful city. I left Chicago to start fresh, expand my horizons I didn't think he'd follow me across the globe. I swivel my chair and look out the window at the rain lashing on the old Edinburgh streets. It calms my nerves briefly till I turn back around and see his email again.

Jace was not supposed to find me here. Granted he worked for the same company, Atlas Publishing, but he was secure in Chicago. I'd watched him rise from an intern to a grad seeking promotion after promotion. There was no way he'd know I came to Edinburgh? Right? He'd never leave his success in Chicago right?

Wrong. I was so wrong. While his signature block gave nothing away of his location his message did. Based on his position back in Chicago he must be on the board of directors or alike here surely? Besides the leg up his father gave him having established Atlas I never thought he'd want to come here.

It was at this moment that George lightly tapped on the door, I glance at the time 1025 already. Shit. I had nothing prepared and my head was swimming. I wave him in and smile.
"Ready to meet Lorenzo, Grace?"
I nod and smile, hoping my explosion of emotions is not evident.
"Yes definitely. I'm excited"
From my knowledge and research of this giant company Lorenzo is the Edinburgh COO. Each branch has one and they all report to the CEO, who is based in their main location in New York. I always thought that Jace would end up as the Chicago COO. Hell he was certainly lined up for it. Surely he wouldn't miss up that opportunity?

Myself and George approach the elevator and he hits number 13, the highest on the list. George makes small talk about Lorenzo and his interests trying to put me at ease I'm sure. If he remotely knew how I came to be here I'm sure he wouldn't bother explaining. As the lift door opens on the top floor there is a reception area, much like on my floor. Instead of a open floor plate to the side there is a small coffee area and three huge offices, all with large desks and conference tables.

We don't stop at the reception and walk right by the three large offices until I see an open office, no door but yet it's detached from the rest of the office by walls. This office is bigger than my entire penthouse. We will get onto that later. Behind the desk is a handsome tall man, he's younger than I expected but brimming with warmth.
"Grace, so glad to finally meet you. I've heard such good things about you and your work."
"Thank you sir, I hope nothing to good wouldn't want to set false expectations"
He laughs, a laugh that fills the room and makes me smile. He's warm and friendly and absolutely not how Jace had described him once to me.
As if like he could read my thoughts Lorenzo points to the chair and dismisses George. I sit down trying my hardest not to slouch.
"Grace I can't tell you how pleased I am to have you here. Your transcripts from your time at the Chicago branch and Loyola are excellent. I'm sure you will bring excellent things to the company."
I smile and nod my way through this transaction. I hadn't expected him to read my transcripts or know anything about me, just your usual welcome to the company bullshit is what I'd been expecting. I had it when I briefly interned at the Chicago branch. Lorenzo continued his welcome until the clock hit 1100 and he smiled at me.
" I'm afraid I have some meetings now, it's a real pleasure and privilege to welcome you to our company. Jace has told me a lot about you. He was pleased when you accepted the job offer."
I stop. I'm pretty sure I stop breathing and hold my breath. Lorenzo noticed this and tries to resolve my worry.
" Grace, your original line manager was going to be a fabulous Programme Manager called Claire Harris. She subsequently was offered an amazing role as the lead editor at Penguin. Her role has been temporarily filled by Jace from the Chicago office, although we aren't sure on the organisation structure going forward. We will of course keep yourself and all other employees informed."
I thank him politely for the welcome and leave the area that is, I assume, his office space. I was relieved when I saw George waiting on the sofas in the reception area.
"How did it go? Lorenzo is nice isn't he? He reminds me of Father Christmas a bit."
I laugh at his remark, it was strangely accurate although in personality and not looks, he was handsome and lovely. I'm sure a very desirable man to many. George returns me to my office promptly and explains all the boring mandatory training I must do prior to hitting the ground running.
I put in my AirPods and get started on it. First was 'effective information management' I roll my eyes and hit start.
By the time I look at the computer it's 17.05 and I am officially off the clock. I choose to grab the three manuscripts I can only assume George left on my desk and place them carefully in my bag.
I stop off at George's office to say bye but his desk is vacant. I assume he must have left for the day. I quickly do the same and take the lift to the car park floor. I find my car and sigh in relief. I'm so glad I swapped out my car just weeks ago. I'd have been embarrassed in my Fiat. Back in Chicago I never had to worry, Jace drove me everywhere and when he didn't I had the choice of his spare car or the subway.
I bite my bottom lip, I shouldn't be thinking about this. I'm going to have to report to Jace for the foreseeable. I need to view anything we previously had as history and nothing more.

I smile, I am together. I am together. I pull out the car park and head home for the evening.