Chapter 14

I glance at my phone between seminars just a text from Jace and a call from Caroline confirming her number. I open Jaces message
How's the first day going baby? Any hot guys?
I don't even roll my eyes; this is a very typical Jace message.
No hot guys, nothing to report. Made a friend she's called Caroline, going for lunch bye :)
I'm hoping this is enough to keep him at bay for now. I love Jace, and seeing his text did make me smile, but I have no interest in the subtext that is in that text.
The day passes quickly, my car has been taken home now by the recovery truck. I know this because Jace has blown my phone up with calls and texts.
I'm fine; just a mild crash. All in hand :) will talk when I get home
This of course was followed by so many calls. I turn my phone off and walk to the entrance. Alex is stood there with a brown leather man bag, he's wearing a brown leather jacket and beanie on his head. He's quite casual for a chancellor, not your typical 50 year old man with a career at the heart of education. "Grace! How was your day?" "It was good thank you sir, my lectures were so good, I know I'll enjoy my time here." I'm trying to remain formal now I know who this man is. "Call me Alex, I'm glad to hear you're enjoying them, let's get you home then!" We run to the car in the rain and I climb in the passenger seat. I've never been in a Tesla, it's sleek and functional. "Where am I going?" "It's 22 Grovener road." He turns to me and glares "but that's like full of expensive apartments, are you not staying in halls?" I smile and shake my head "no I'm a grad with Atlas, they have me in a nice penthouse there." He nods and smiles pulling out the car park "sorry that was so rude of me, congratulations that's quite the achievement, do i detect a valedictorian?" I shake my head profusely "absolutely not!" He chuckles "well it sounds like we are lucky to have you, do you mind if I stop for a coffee? I haven't had a caffeine fix all day!" "Sure that's no worries. I might get one too!" We pull into Starbucks drive through, it's just beyond campus. We order coffees; he pays for mine. "I crashed into you, that's the least I can do." I smile and thank him. He's a very good looking man, he's stocky and tall, he looks like the sort of man who plays rugby on the weekends. "I'm so sorry again for this morning." "It's fine, really accidents happen." "Did you ever get your head checked?" I shake it "no I didn't want to waste time say in a&e" "grace I really think you should, I'd feel awful if it was anything sinister. My sister is a doctor at the hospital in south street, it's not far from yours, let me take you there just to get checked out." "No really I'm fine, thanks though" "Grace I insist, we are going, I'll stay with you don't worry." He's nice, so nice and caring, I guess it's probably to save the uni and his own reputation but even so. I roll my eyes "fine" I smile at him. He quickly pulls into the multi-storey car park and dials his sister "hey sis, I accidentally crashed into someone this morning, she's with me now, could you check her over for me?" She agrees and we walk through the hospital. He guides me into her clinic. Her door reads "Dr Smith - Clinical director" their parents must be proud a chancellor and a director? She walks over to us within a few minutes "Alex! How are you it's been a few weeks since I've seen you!" They engage in polite chit chat as siblings do, and then she turns to me "You're beautiful even with that awful bruise on your forehead." I blush, I haven't looked in the mirror for sometime, I hope it's not as bad as she says, Jace will certainly have something to say about that. "Thank you" "where on earth did my brother manage to get you?" Alex's eyes widen, as do mine. "No no I'm a student, I'm a student we just met today when he crashed into my car." Alex is glaring at his sister like he wishes the ground would swallow him. "I see, well let's get you checked out" she leads me into her examination room. "I'll wait out here for you." Alex is nice, and cares for his students.

"Your head seems okay to me, just superficial, I'd suggest you probably have a mild concussion though so take it easy over the next few days. I'm going to sign you off for a week because we don't want you bumping your head again." I smile and thank her. I am not looking forward to telling Jace this information. He's going to go mad, and not at me. We return to the waiting room and Alex says bye to his sister."let's get you home then." "Thanks" I live just a few minutes from here, I should have walked but it's raining and I am feeling exhausted from today. I ask Alex to drop me outside the front entrance of the apartment building. "Thanks for the ride. I guess I'll maybe see you around." "I'd like that Grace. Don't forget to save my number and send me your quotes." Alex leans over to me and tucks my hair behind my ear "it really was nice to meet you." I smile and climb out the car, that was super inappropriate wasn't it? "Thanks again" I turn and walk into my apartment, the lift dings before I can even press the button. Of course it's Jace, he's furious he grabs my face between his hands. "Where the fuck were you, I was worried sick, who drove you home?"  I can't be bothered with this. "I was at the hospital getting checked out, Alex the school chancellor drove me home as he's who crashed into me. Oh and by the way." I push the doctors note against his chest. "I won't be at work the next week." I walk past him and into the elevator. The doors close before he manages to get in, I'm relieved I just need to compose myself. Maybe Alex was just being nice but it felt totally wrong for him to put my hair behind my ears? I get why Jace is furious I would be too if he screened my calls when his car arrives beaten up. I unlock the door to the penthouse and flop onto the sofa.