Chapter 37

Jace tells the other the arrangement. I hear a lot of shouting. I walk out the room, past Jace and into our room. I find a black pair of jeans and throw on his T-shirt. Jace walks in and looks at me. His eyes are pained. He comes to me and puts his hands on my cheek. "Please don't let them do this to you Grace." "I can't agree to that." "Then I'm sorry." I nod. Jace walks into the wardrobe he puts on a black suit, slides a gun into the back of his trousers, he looks in the mirror and leans his head against it. "What happened to you'll always love me" he whispers "I always will. That's not enough though." A tear slides down my cheek. He walks over and takes me in his arms. He smells of alcohol and cigarettes with fresh Versace sprayed on him. I look at him through my tear soaked eyelashes "I love you." "I know." Is all he replies. He goes into the draw next to me and pulls out a small pistol. "You might need this." "I've never.." "it's loaded you will know what to do if you need to." "Let's go" he grabs my hand and squeezes it.

He helps me onto the boat that's floating by the large one. It's just a rib. I glance at Jace, he looks so hot. It practically kills me that this is the situation we are in. When it's just us on the boat Jace pushes the leaver on the boat and it speeds away. I hadn't realised how beautiful the scenery we'd docked in was. I walk over to him. It would be beautiful had this not be our situation. I step in front of him so he has to make eye contact with me. "Grace" he sighs and looks at me his eyes are in such pain. He wraps his arms around me. I lean up to kiss him, he pulls away, I try again this time reaching his lips, he instinctly puts his arms around me. His lips find mine and he kisses me passionately, his arms get tighter around me. "Fuck grace. I love you." I smile. I knew he did. He pushes against me gently. "Whilst I appreciate this might be our last time, it's not the time baby. I'm sorry." I nod. I understand him. "What are you going to say to him?" I ask. "I don't know baby. I'm just hoping I can say something to get us out this mess." I nod. He points to a cave. "This is it. I'm so sorry I brought this into your life. I'm so sorry it's not how things are supposed to be." I nod. "It's okay. I love you"
I force a smile for him and he plants a kiss onto my head.

The cave is dark. It's cold and it's wet, Jace is holding my hand and is dragging me along. His long leg pace is a lot quicker than mine. "Ah my guests. You're late." I large man with a good tan and a lot of hair says. Behind him is three large men. All handsome in their own way. None anywhere near the size of Jace, nor anywhere near as beautiful. "We left when we could, I asked for tonight you countered with an hour. I'm sure this is good enough."
"Mmm I will allow your tardiness, why did you ask me here Jace?"
"I want to broker a better deal, without my father."
"You know our price. Jace, as I'm sure Charles made clear before you decided to kill him, she is our price, no one had to die. You turned this into something entirely...different."
"Then why do you still just want her?"
A grin covers this man's face, he wanted Jace to ask that. He walks over to us. He is just meters away.
"Because I can see she is the way to you. No matter what the deal Jace, she will always be the centre of it."
Jace drops my hand. I thought he was reaching for his gun but he turns to me. His eyes are in such pain. He looks over my face. Then he turns dark and any look of emotion has gone. He takes my hand with my beautiful wedding ring on it and slides it off my finger along with my engagement ring. I'm so confused. He turns to Ahmid.
"She is baron." "She is not Jace, and you know this." "She cannot easily conceive. She has lost my first two children Ahmid." His words cut me deep. I stumble back the world around me spinning. Why would he say that in such a hateful tone.
"Her ring, a constant reminder of her betrayal. It's made with Opal. The date of my first child's supposed birth. You see when we lived in Chicago she left me. Claimed me to be a drunk. I was only drunk because she couldn't give me what I wanted. Then she did.. a child." Jace turns to look at me and smirks, but there's a look in his eye. It's pain.
"She lost it." Ahmid eye follows his to mine.
"Are you saying you don't love this girl? Because all of the evidence points to the contrary."
"I did. Her willingness to give herself to you made me realise how willing she always is to leave me. She once went out with her school Chancellor ones. She's nothing special."
"So you give her up?"
"I do." Jace replies. He throws my wedding rings at me. I grab them and look at them. Why is he saying this? He loves me. He always said he loved me. Was it a lie? Ahmid walks over to me and puts his finger on my chin, like Jace use to. I feel a single tear roll down my eye.
"Is this true my dear? About you being baron." I shake my head. He smiles "go on Grace." "I'm not. I did loose two children, his two children. It is harder for me, and I have." He slaps me. Out of no where. I fall to the floor. Jace doesnt move. I lie on the floor sobbing.
"See Jace, now I have a situation. She was the centre of you, I needed her to hurt you. I'm not convinced I'll be honest. I think you love this girl but your act is good. So I'm going to do this the only way I know how." He waves his boys forward.
"I'm sure you know my children. You've since halved their numbers but my children none the less." Jace nods.
"Boys" They walk over to me. One of them gives me a slight smile, sympathy I think. One tries to pick me up.
"No get off me I can walk." He agrees. The other brother nips the pistol out of my back and shows his father.
"You arm a girl you don't love? Jace come on." "I didn't know she had it, I'm surprised she didn't shoot me to be honest, she can be...impulsive." He laughs, it's menacing. I'm really struggling to see any love for me in Jace.

The boys guide me to a rock and sit me on it. I do as I'm instructed and look back to Jace and Ahmid. "So what do we do Jace? I have your girl. Who you tell me is baron. Although I am inclined to validate your story. All I wanted was her eggs after all she doesn't have to be able to carry to term for me. Then there's you? I'm struggling. I'm a smart man Jace, are you lying so I just kill you and spare her?" He laughs. "I'd probably do the same for my wife. It's a shame yours won't get a choice." "Let's make a deal Ahmid." "Okay Jace, what do you want?"
"You can have her, do as you please, take her eggs, don't take her eggs, hell if you still want I'll donate some sperm, if you manage to make a baby il sure they'll be glorious. I want my freedom and my company. I'll sign over half to you. We will start an alliance." Ahmid laughs.
"My counter. Kill her." He points to me and to Jace. "You just want me to kill her?" He nods. "I'm free then?" He nods. "What about her body?" "I don't fancy taking a rotting corpse home with me Jace. I'm sure the fishes will appreciate the snack." He nods. Jace pulls out his gun and walks over to me. "You can't be serious." I say bravely. I stand up and one of Ahmid sons push me back down. Jace shakes his head. And drops next to me in a squat. He's at my height and he looks me in the eye. His eyes are soft. They're broken, he's lying he does love me. He's not going to kill me. "One more." Jace says to Ahmid. "One more? You drive a hard bargain. I'll offer the original deal. Her eggs, your sperm and my boys get a night with her." I can see he's testing Jace. "Make it now." "What?" "Your boys, make them now and you have a deal." Jace says, he's given himself away. "I don't think so my friend. I'd prefer you to kill her. Let's get it over with.