Chapter 17

I've dressed myself in some dark blue Levi's with a purple T-shirt and grey hoodie. I walk back into the living area and Jaces eyes pick up and rake over my body.
"Will you wear something for me?" I raise a brow and he stands, stalking over to the room he'd placed his stuff in, he brings out a black hoodie, I don't even need to sniff it, it smells like a mixture of Dior Sauvage and Versace with a subtle hint of cigarette and alcohol that's old and fading. I love it. It smells entirely of him.
"Will you wear it? It's the same one from Chicago, but it smells like how you loved."
"How I love." I reply and pull the hoodie on, it's a zip up Ralph Lauren one, oversized and soft and his. He kisses the top of my forehead.
"Now go forth and breakfast and health care, also can you sign me up for everywhere you go? I don't care about opticians though." "What if you need glasses?" I taunt.
"I'll get laser eye surgery, obviously." He winks. I smile and walk to the entrance of the penthouse putting my shoes on. He follows me over passing me his set of keys.
"I can take the spare one?"
"I want you to take mine."
I don't know what this is about but I'll ignore it for now. I nod and smile and he leans down giving me a passionate kiss, I'm fighting every urge not to escalate the situation, especially as it's been months of self control for both of us.
"I love you Grace." He rests his head on mine.
"I love you. See you later."
"Laters baby." He winks mockingly.
I take the elevator to the garage and hop in the car, I do love this car, but something about this is daunting to me. I look like a wag it occurs to me his car, his hoodie and I haven't even brought a handbag. Yep that's it. I pull out the garage and drive down to an independent coffee shop, I grab a takeaway oat milk latte and a granola pot. The thought of potentially having health care professionals giving me an MOT put me off eating a fry up at 9.30am. I Google some private doctors, followed by opticians and schedule drop ins with the both for Jace and I. I then move onto dentists, bizarrely the one I was most comfortable with in Chicago has me nervous. It's probably because it's been such a while. I find a private one, it's expensive and looks nice online so call them. I confirm a time for a first appointment and enquire about Jace, they say they do packages for spouses so I agree to that, he'll be fine with it. I confirm to also schedule him an appointment for later in the day with me. Once I'm off the phone I decide to go back home, it's only 10am now and our first appointment isn't till 14.00 at the doctors. Plus it was going to be better to tell Jace about the logistics of why he too was having a health MOT today.
I stop off on my route home at a drive through and get him a cookie from Starbucks and return home the drive was fun and quick, I speed way to much in the car, but I love it. I pop the car in it's usual car park space and return to the penthouse. Jace is pacing around on the phone to someone, he swears way to many times and looks stressed so I just plop on the couch waiting.
"I have to go, my next meeting just arrived. I'll call you back. Don't fuck up again." And he slams the phone down on the table. And takes a deep breath and looks at me.
"You're back very very quickly, something wrong?"
I shake my head and pass him the cookie.
"I got you this, and am I your next meeting?" I laugh and smile.
"You are if you want to be."
"Um, I just have some bits to run by you?" He smiles and puts himself away on his laptop, he grabs me out of my seat on the sofa and sits down with me on top of him, I lean into him and smile.
"What is it baby?" He's concerned I can see that.
"It's fine, it's just well, a lot of the health services I called do preferential treatment for spouses, so I kinda agreed that for us?" Relief crosses his face and he looks at me confused.
"Is this some weird way to get me to marry you? Because all you have to do is ask baby." I practically choke, he took this a very different way than I pictured.
"No no, not that, hah..I mean, that's something for you to decide when you're ready and not before. What I meant was that all my health checks are today, and you kind of have them too now?" He raises a brow and processes.
"Right. When's the first one?"
"We both have the doctors at 14.00, together, like they see us together, for all of the appointments I think." I blush I didn't realise how personal this was until now. I see a smirk cross his face and he runs his fingers along my leg.
"You mean I get to know every detail about you from now on?" I nod biting my lip.
"There's nothing I would want more Grace. Can I ask something?" I smile and nod again, what am I mute? Apparently so.
"Did you do this to find out if I was drinking or doing stuff again?" His voice is serious but not angry, more concerned. I take his cheek in the palm of my hands.
"No baby, no. There was literally no alternative motive, it just got me seen faster and meant we could make appointments for one another and things." He smiles clearly pleased with my answer. But when I think about it, these are all perks to the situation and that does make me happy.
"Well I'm going back to work for a while, if this meeting is finished?" I nod and bite my lip, which he responds to by kissing it. I lie on the sofa and dose off.