Chapter 12

I wake up to my phone alarm buzzing in my ear, when I swat it off I look at the time. It's only 0600. If I got up now I can get to work before Jace is even up. I quickly run around getting my work clothes and manuscripts. I decide to head to a Pilates session before heading to the office so jump into some shorts and a oversized T-shirt. I'm not interested in wearing a crop top any time soon. I put on my Nikes and tie my hair in a pony and rush for the door. I shut it quietly and race down to my car. I'm pleased when there is no sign of Jace and his car remains in the slot he parked in yesterday.

I start my car and head off to the gym. Once inside I swipe my membership card and put my water bottle in the floor near my station. A few people flurry into the class, i glance around, there is a handful of men and women. In Chicago it was rare I saw a man in a Pilates session, I smile thinking it's a nice change. The instructor walks in, he's tall, so tall probably taller than Jace and that's saying something, and he's built like a god. A tribal tattoo covers his arm and shoulder. His legs also display a few markings. He's handsome that's for sure. "Hi everyone I'm Isaac, unfortunately Melanie is sick today so I'm going to cover this class. I hope that's okay?" There's a low mumble from the others. Isaac coaches us through a few poses and the class flies by. I slip into the showers at the gym and change into a red skater dress, it's short but shaped nicely. I keep my hair in a slick pony tail and only add a layer of mascara. I exit the gym and head to the office. When I pull in Jaces car is in his spot and I park towards the end of the car park. I scurry inside quickly it's cold but nice.

When I walk into my office there's a Starbucks on the desk 'Coffee to start the day - J x' I roll my eyes. He's good, too good. I log in and send a few emails to the authors I finalised their manuscripts and cover pages asking for final approval. I pick up the last one I never got to start nor finish. I'm reading intensely; commenting and annotating as I go. This is the best manuscript I have read in, well forever. I take the time to send Jace an email.

Jace,

'The lost and the forgotten' manuscript is incredible. A potential best seller. Recommend you read it. I've added my annotations. Will send it up soon.

Best wishes,
Grace

I'm not sure why I'm being so formal, but Jace will appreciate that I have escalated this. I know it's a novel he too will enjoy. I glance at the clock and it's 1300 already. No wonder I am hungry, I slide out my office and peer into George's. "Hey George, is there any good places to eat nearby?" George looks up enthusiastically and then silences himself, he looks back at his screen. That's when I hear it, Jace coughs behind me. " I came to grab that manuscript and see if you've had lunch yet?" I nod and walk back to my own office grabbing the manuscript for Jace. "I haven't had lunch yet but I was asking George if he had any recommendations." " I saw that, maybe you should ask one of the other ladies instead." I scowl at him "since when were you the jealous type?" Jace walks over to me, he shuts my office door and locks it with his thumb and forefinger before closing the blinds. Had we have been together I'd assume some kinky behaviour was about to take place. This however will not be the case. Jace walks over to me and tucks a loose stand of hair from my fringe and hides it behind my ear. He leans in "I'm not the jealous type, but when you look like that it's hard for me to not notice every other man in this establishment staring at you. Let alone flaunting you around on your lunch break, absolutely fucking not." He's being deadly serious right now and I laugh. " You're a jackass you know that right?" "No I'm your boss, now let me take you for lunch." I'm hungry so I don't refuse, I manage to convince Jace we should just go to the canteen and get some shit soup or something. He argues but agrees quickly. He raises how I left before he was even up but I quickly dismiss him noting that I was at the gym, we briefly talk about the manuscripts I've finalised and he says he will take a look. With that lunch was over and I was back at my desk.

I had a few calls with potential book buyers so my day goes by quickly. I pack up at just gone five and head to my car. Jaces is car is still there, in Chicago he'd always be working late, he earned his position despite his family owning the company. I drive home quickly and put on my comfy clothes. Tomorrow is my first day an Uni here and I can't wait. I can feel my masters practically, although I'm sure I won't once I am swamped with work and assignments. Jace strolls through the door at 7. He looks tired but comes and gives me a kiss on the forehead. "How was your day?" "Fine if it wasn't for my nightmare boss, he likes to control everything." He rolls his eyes but laughs. He seems in good spirits.

I cook tea, nothing fancy, just a chicken stir fry. We eat in silence again. Nothing awkward between us just exhaustion hanging in the air. "Tomorrows your first day at uni right?" I nod " yeah I can't wait, I miss studying I'm so ready. I am hoping to meet some people to hang with socially aswell. It's been kinda hard since coming here to find anyone with any common interests." Jace nods although he's clearly tense, he cleans the dishes and I head off to bed. "Night Jace" he walks towards me planting a kiss on my forehead again " Night Baby, sleep well." I roll my eyes. He's trying to hard, it's cringe worthy. We aren't even together, are we?