Chapter 55

When I wake up Jace isn't in the bed. I decide to lie back and just admire the view. It's breathtaking. I love the snow and it makes me feel Christmassy. I hear the door bang and feet wipe against the mat. I climb out of bed to go see who it is. It's Jace.
"Where have you been?" He takes his coat off and a beanie.
"I was running errands, it's literally lunch time Grace."
"What?" I turn to look at the clock on the oven. It's 12.05 I've slept through the entire morning. He raises a brow and smiles.
"You were tired. I thought I'd let you sleep. I got you some skis?" I'm surprised Jace thought to do that. I figured we wouldn't be doing anything like that with his leg.
"I love skiing." I chirp back. He reaches into his leather backpack he had sling on his shoulder and throws me a brown paper bag. It's warm. At first I'm scared it's alive then I realise it's a warm pastry. I open it up and take a bite.
"Thank you. So what did you get up to this morning?"
"I did some work. I needed to talk to Enzo about our move to New York. What did you want to do with the penthouse and the house?"
"Just sell them?"
"You don't want the option to move back?" I shake my head and bite my croissant again.
"I'm fine with leaving it all and starting fresh." Jace furrows his brow and nods.
"Okay I'll let him know to sell everything. I'll get your belongings sent to atlas in New York and we can start looking at places online later." I nod.
"Sounds good. How are things?"
"You know the book you recommended. The boy who lived in the sea or something?" It feels so long ago since I read it. I nod.
"We put it out to sellers last week, it did really well. It made us alot of money Grace. We've commissioned a second book already."
"Really? That's amazing. I enjoyed that book."
"I told you were good at your job." He replies.
"I'm gonna go shower." I walk into the bathroom and turn on the shower. I notice my period has started, well that explains the emotional avalanche last night.
"JACE!" I shout. He appears really quickly with a pad in hand I draw my brows together in confusion.
"I had a suspicion, you were...a emotional roller coaster last night."
"Can you grab me some clothes out?" He nods and walks into the other room. I leave the pad on the side. I wash my hair and generally feel much better than I should today. I turn the shower off and climb out. Jace is sat on the toilet seat.
"Can I help you?" He stands up and moves. "Just wanted to see you naked." He smirks.
"Well aren't you a delight." I pull my pants with pad up and put on the bra Jace has chosen. He comes behind me and does it up. He kisses my shoulders and up to my neck.
"You look exquisite today." He whispers in my ear. I roll my eyes and reach for my top and leggings he's picked out. Jace returns to the main living area when I start drying my hair and brushing my teeth. I smile at myself, I look so much better than I did yesterday. I put on some minimal makeup and walk into the living area. Jace is absorbed in his laptop.

"What's so interesting?"
"Come see!" I walk over and Jace is browsing through houses in New York. The one he's currently on is 32 million and my eyes go wide.
"We can afford that?" He turns to me to see if I'm joking I'm sure.
"Yeah of course we can. This one is on Broadway. It's got a pool, a garden. It's not a house but it's as good as?" He slides through the photos it's a super modern apartment. Light and airy.
"How far from Atlas?"
"About 10/15 minute walk. It's 5 bed in the perfect location. I think we should put an offer in today." I raise my brows.
"We haven't seen it?"
"It's literally the only house of its type. It's the best neighbourhood."
"I mean, it's your money if you want to.." he turns to face me confused and grabs my hands.
"It's our home Grace. It's our money, our home. If you want it, it's yours. If you don't that's fine."
"I'm just not sure that one's the one you know."
"I found another place. It's an actual house on the upper east side." Jace clicks back and selects a house on the east 63rd street. It's a beautiful huge town house it's over double the cost of the other. It's a dream home though.
"You like it?" I nod.
"It's perfect."
"I'll ring them now and make an offer." He kisses my forehead.
"This is insane." I smile and he smiles back. Jace strolls off into the living area on the phone to the estate agent. I click through the photos of my beautiful house. Jace strolls back in.
"It's ours!" I jump up and clap. I can't believe this is my life. I was just a poor English girl till I met Jace.
"Oh my god I can't believe it."
"I put an all cash offer in, we close next week."
"Next week?! We get the keys next week?" Jace laughs and nods.
"How is this even possible?" Jace laughs.
"Don't worry yourself. If you'd like to know your budget for a house was a lot more than that." I shake my head in disbelief. He really is richer than god.
"I can't wait to move in." I squeal. It does mean I now need to apply for colleges ASAP.
"I love how happy this had made you."
"It has. I'm excited. I've never been to New York!"
"You're going to love it, and just in time for new year to. Now, shall we go?" I smile and turn to grab my jacket. Jace also dresses appropriately for a change. When I walk out the door I find some skis and a snowboard I turn around surprised.
"No skis?" Jace shakes his head.
"I can ski but I thought boarding might be better with my leg." I look at him confused I really fail to see how it will be any better but I don't argue. I clip on a helmet hanging on the outside porch and put the ski boots on. I step into the skis and wait for a click. Part of the thing I loved about this cabin is you can ski onto the piste from the door. Jace secures a boot into his board and scoots himself onto the piste. Securing himself before he sets off. I pull my goggles down and ski past him. I was worried I'd forget how but it came back pretty naturally. I zig down the empty piste. I grin feeling the wind in my hair. I'm really flying now. I remember when I was younger my friends and I use to raise down mountains like this. We use to see who was fastest and wouldn't slow down till it was far to late. I laugh loudly and continue down. I glance back and see jace boarding behind me. He vias to the right and I see a small obstacle course. He jumps the first hump easily. I can tell he's enjoying himself. I'm beginning to slow and notice we are coming to the end of the run. The ski lifts are coming into view to the left of me. Jaces boards over to near me and we both come to a slow by the chair lift. He lifts his goggles.
"You looked like you were having fun."
"That was so fun. It's been so long." He nods.
"Yeah I enjoyed that too. Shall we go up again? Want to do a black run?" I laugh.
"Maybe a blue..or a red. I'm not feeling that brave yet."
"Suit yourself!" He shouts and glides to the lifts. He holds his lift pass up and skips the queue. Shit I don't have a lift pass.
"You have my pass!" I shout at Jace. Jace stands to the side and fishes it out through his pocket and throws it to me. I grab it and ski into the lift queue. Jace pokes his head around by the lifts.
"What are you doing, get up here you idiot." I shake my head. I don't want to skip the queue.
"Suit yourself." Jace hops into a lift and I roll my eyes. Typical Jace. I notice Alex a few people infront of me.
"Hey Alex!" She turns around.
"OMG Grace!" She pushes through the crowd and grabs my arm.
"Get up here! You can ride with me seen as your mans abandoned you down here!" She laughs.
"How did he skip the queue by the way?" I laugh and roll my eyes.
"He's an ass that's why." Alex laughs with me.
"I fully thought he was going to kill that guy yesterday."
"Me too. He was pretty mad but he's just protective."
"Grace he's smokin, you've got a good one." I laugh she has no idea. The lift comes and we ski into it.
"Where are your friends?" I ask her.
"Hungover! They don't have any stamina! I saved for over a year to come here. You best believe I'm making the most of it." I laugh. Once upon a time I'd also have been in the same mindset.
"So Grace, all I know about you is that you dance well and your husband is hot, what else is there to know?"
"Umm well I work in publishing.. I'm a graduate at atlas publishing. I was based in Edinburgh but next week I move to New York! I'm going to enrol in Columbia I think."
"Shit girl! That's so brave! What does..." "Jace" "what does Jace think of that? Is he coming?" I nod. "Jace is actually American we met when I worked in Chicago a few years ago. He's transferred for work there too!"
"Oh you work together?"
"He's my boss actually!" I laugh and she laughs too.
"That must have some perks of all varieties I'm sure!" She laughs. I like this girl. She's light and cheerful.
"What about you?" She shrugs.
"I'm pretty boring. I'm going to Princeton to be a primary teacher!"
"That's amazing! I'd love to do something so beautiful as teaching children! I just don't think I could stick at it! Jace also wouldn't be with me I don't think." I laugh.
"Why not?"
"I just..we fell in love over books and reading. It's kind of engrained in us both. When we talk we quote literature. I also love working with him. I wouldn't get that as he is not a lover of children!" I laugh. The lift gets to the brow of the hill and I see Jace stood by a lamppost waiting for me. Alex leans in.
"He really is beautiful." I laugh.
"He's mine back off." We stand waiting for the lift to push us down the small hump. Alex skis of and waves bye, I return the wave and ski over to Jace.
"Is she the bad influence from last night?" He says in a moody tone I nod.
"She's actually really nice, and she fancies you." I laugh and he leans down for a kiss.
"Unfortunately for her I only have eyes for one."