36. 𝑈𝑛𝑑𝑒𝑟𝑠𝑡𝑜𝑜𝑑

Paris

I twirled the black pen between my fingers, focusing on controlling the movement instead of whatever was going on in the room with Syn and Queen. I'd done multiple jobs and knew better than to question what people discussed behind closed doors. All I needed to know was who I needed to protect from who. The why didn't matter as much considering the people I'd done business with liked to keep things as private as possible.

I heard a door close a few yards away from me and out of the corner of my eye, I could see Syn walking toward the dining table. "How much of that did you hear?"

"How much of it did you want me to hear?"

"None of it." He sat down in one of the chairs and faced me.

"Then I heard nothing."

"Let's get down to business then," he said. "Drake Kincaid is becoming quite the nuisance. I'm not sure the extent he'll go to fuck with me so until I do, I need you and your guys to watch over Queen and my son when I'm not around. Money isn't a problem so whatever you charge-"

"Don't worry about it," I said. This job, wasn't just about money. "Cain is like a brother to me. I owe him enough to protect his sister and nephew with my life. You don't need to worry."

He eyed me with a studious gaze I recognized within myself. One that would try to figure out whether I was being truthful or not before making any decisions. It was notable.

"Okay." He nodded. "You may work for free if you'd like but I will still be compensating your team."

"Sure."

"Then let's discuss specifics, shall we?"

"Go ahead." I nodded.

"Until this is all resolved, I don't want there to be a moment where her and Saint don't have someone around to ensure their safety-"

"May I ask you a question?" I interrupted.

"What is it?"

"Do you not believe she can protect herself?" I asked curiously. It wasn't truly any of my business and if he didn't want to answer I'd leave it at that, but I was intrigued. She was the Queen of Hell. Why did she need someone to watch over her? I was sure she could do it herself.

"It's not that," he said. "I'd just rather be safe than sorry. Too much has happened in the past for me not to be extra careful with the both of them."

I nodded in understanding.

"Why do you ask?" He tilted his head.

"I was curious."

"Don't be," he replied, "...not about her."

I raised a brow. "Don't be so ominous. Speak freely, sir."

"We both know you're bright enough to put two and two together, Paris. You're a flirt," he finally said.

I chucked deeply. "I'm sure you know it's all jokes."

"I won't find them funny."

Hmm.

"Understood."

꧁꧂

Author's Note
😩PARISSSSSS😩
He just has me like:

This was our first POV of him and it was just a tiny glimpse into the mysterious man

This was our first POV of him and it was just a tiny glimpse into the mysterious man. Anyway...Syn seems to be a bit jealous huh?👀

Lmk your thoughts❤️