72. 𝐻𝑒𝑦 𝐿𝑖𝑡𝑡𝑙𝑒 𝐿𝑎𝑑𝑦

May 13, 2023

Queen

Syn's hand remained outstretched to Aiden, waiting for him to accept and I crossed my arms. When I thought about Aiden calling him out here and he came, my immediate thought was that there would be a fight. But looking at Syn, he didn't seem the slightest bit unsettled or upset as he did earlier.

It was just so easy for him to pretend. Only recently- within the past few days did I know just how good he truly was at it. That meant he could swear up and down that he was okay and not mean it at all. He could always tell easily when I wasn't being truthful...but I couldn't with him.

That needed to be rectified.

"One wouldn't hurt," Syn continued to press. "Have one." He took a step slightly ahead of me, moving me a bit behind him with a gentle push. I scoffed lowly, hiding my head behind his shoulder as I smiled at the protective gesture. He was the one that needed the most help right now yet he was trying to protect me.

From behind him, I took a small step to the left, still letting Syn remain in front of me but able to easily step in if something were to go awry.

In front of us, I could see Aiden visibly tense, his Adam's apple slightly bobbing as he tried his best to look unfazed. Of course, Syn and I could see completely past the facade, and for a slight moment, I felt sorry for him. My sympathy however was completely overshadowed by my curiosity about Syn's intentions. He never did things for no reason and I too was suspicious of Aiden's hospital stay and "supposed" allergy.

"I said I don't want to," Aiden repeated, his voice rising. "Do you not know what the word no means. Maybe that's the problem with you." He pointed at Syn. "You can't take being told no. That's how I know you're the reason Queen is isolating herself from the people who care about her, you're a fucking narcissist."

"Tsk tsk tsk." Syn shook his head. "You're not very good at deflecting, Aiden. If you have an allergic reaction to it, we will take you to the hospital...scout's honor."

"You think I'd believe someone like you—"

"You can believe me," I spoke up, making them both look at me. "I'll take you myself if—"

"Not if- when it happens."

"Eat them, Aiden," I flat-out said.

Aiden stopped arguing, his shoulders dropping as he looked at me. His gaze was full of disappointment as he searched his eyes, but I remained composed. Something was off about this entire situation and the opportunity had risen for me to get a clue as to what it might have been. As much as I cared for him, I had a history of turning a blind eye to red flags. And I didn't have the time, energy, or mental capacity to suffer the consequences of being wrong about someone again.

There was too much on the line now.

I watched as his eyes floated from me to Syn before they dropped. My eyes followed his to see me and Syn's connected hands, and my breath caught. I hadn't even noticed. It just felt so natural.

I looked back at Aiden, my gut twisting a bit as a pained look crossed his features. He always told me that in another life he and I would be together, just like in this one. And I never said anything back. I just smiled and tried my hardest to stop thinking about the true person I knew I belonged with- Syn.

We were together in this life and if somehow- someway there was another life somewhere else in the great beyond, I was sure it'd still be him.

"You really don't care anymore, huh?" He asked me.