51. 𝐶𝑜𝑢𝑙𝑑𝑛'𝑡 𝐵𝑒 𝑀𝑒

May 10, 2023

Queen

My mouth dropped as I stared up at Caspian and he silently waited for me to say something with a charming smile on his face. My mouth went dry from being agape for so long and he placed a finger under my chin to close it. "Do I look that good?" He teased.

"H-how did you know," I stuttered as my heart pounded against my chest. "...that I-I was here?"

"I'm a vampire, darling," he whispered lowly as he crossed his arms. "I heard you the moment you set foot into the castle." Oh...I nodded slowly, not knowing what to say. "No one else knows if you're worried about that. I wasn't going to bother you, but I had no idea when you were going to leave again and I couldn't miss the chance to see you one more ti-"

I threw myself at him, wrapping my arms around his slender build, surprising us both. I let out a long breath as he hugged me back tightly. "I missed you, chipmunk..." he whispered with a small laugh. My eyes watered and I slowly pulled away to look at him fully.

"Oh my gosh," I sniffled as I studied him. "Look at you, Cas. Your hair!" I whispered excitedly as I looked at his long pink hair tied up into a messy bun at the top of his head. The sides were shaved down, giving a small glimpse into the tattoos that ran down his neck and past the v-shaped neckline of his white t-shirt.

"I grew it out a bit." He waved his hand in the air in front of me, his familiar jeweled wrists and fingers flashing before me. He crossed his arms again, his teeth capturing the ring on his lip as he looked at me nervously. "Hi."

"Hey." I grinned as a small awkwardness began to float into our moment.

"How are you?"

"I'm good." I nodded.

"Are you?"

"I am," I said. "And you?"

"A lot better now." I laughed softly at his reply and he rubbed his hands together nervously. "I umm, I had children. Well, we...we had kids," he said as he closed his eyes momentarily. "I wasn't sure if you knew..."

"I know," I assured him and he nodded, remaining quiet for another few seconds.

"I called," he told me.

I nodded slowly. "I know."

"Okay..." He sighed with a nod. "Would you like to see them?"

"Cas, I don't think I'm ready for-"

"My kids," he clarified with a small grin. "Would you like to meet them?"

"I-I'd love to." I nodded quickly. "I'm just not ready to see anyone..."

"You don't have to," he said in understanding. "I'll just sneak them over."

"Sneak the babies-..."

"Wait here."

"I..." In the blink of an eye, he was out of my sight and I let out a nervous breath, wiping my sweaty palms against the long shirt. With a gust of wind flashing in front of me, I looked up to see Cas with two small babies in his arms and my mouth dropped slowly as my eyes filled with tears.

"Do you mind if we come in?" He asked softly. I looked at one of the babies in his arms to see them holding out their small arms to me. "This is Phoenix," Cas sighed. "She's very social but...I'm working on it. I'm afraid she gets it from her mother."

"May I?" I asked permission as I pointed to her and held back a tight knot at the base of my throat.

"Of course." He smiled.