8. 𝑅𝑜𝑐𝑘𝑎𝑏𝑦𝑒 𝐵𝑎𝑏𝑦

October 31, 2021

Queen

I set down the tub of ice cream and lowered myself down on the couch weakly. It had been so long since I heard from anyone at the palace and I was shocked to see that Xavier was the first one to reach out to me. Out of everyone he seemed like he hated me the most...and out of everyone, I disliked him the most. I understood why he did what he did, it was for Syn. But after personally knowing me for three years, this was his second time not trusting me when I needed it most.

"Please don't hang up. I know I'm the last person you want to talk to," he said. Well duh, I rolled my eyes but stayed silent as he continued. "I know I'm sorry Queen, and you know it as well so I'm not going to annoy you with apologies. I'm just calling to talk about someone I'm hoping we both still love."

Syn. My head quickly assumed the answer before he said it, but I remained quiet. I didn't need him thinking there was hope for me and his friend to reunite and he'd go tell him.

"Umm...Syn isn't doing too well, Queen," he said. My brows furrowed in worry and I sat up in my spot. "I'm sure you know today is his birthday."

"Yes."

"He had a panic attack...I-I have no idea why and I don't know what to do. I know he's been having problems sleeping as well, but I don't know if the reasons are intertwined or—"

"Did you try asking him?" I could hear the concern in Xavier's voice clear as day because I became worried too. In all the time I'd known Syn, he'd never had a panic attack. I also knew that he was an early bird, but I didn't think there were any problems with sleep.

"We both know he's not going to talk to me, Queen."

I rubbed my temples and closed my eyes at his admission. I wasn't sure if these issues were rising because I left or if they were there the whole time. Syn was good at hiding things, but could he have shielded stuff like that from me for all this time?

"What can I even do about that, Xavier?" I questioned lowly. "Did you call me to tell me to come home?"

"No—I don't know. I just felt like the right thing to do was tell you. He married you for fucks sake, I thought you'd have some insight on what's going on so I could handle it."

His words caused me to shift in my seat uncomfortably. Syn and I did get married...but I didn't know shit about him if I truly thought about it. Of course, I knew the basics, but I had no clue how his mind or heart operated when he was alone. The thoughts that kept him up at night, or when he was looking off into space were unknown to me.

"I have no idea, Xavier. I'm sorry."

He sighed and I sunk into the couch. "It's alright, Queen. Thank you for picking up. I hope you're doing well."

"I'm okay," I said. There was an awkward pause on the call for a few seconds and I clicked my tongue. "Did he at least have a good birthday?"

"I mean he doesn't celebrate his birthday, but I think he had a decent time. I'm not sure."

"Oh, okay."

"Umm...I've got to go, Queen. Thank you."

"Sure." I wanted to ask him about other things in the palace including Cleo and Caspian, but he hung up before I could say anything else. I sat back and blew out a breath as I looked up at the ceiling in thought. I almost felt bad for not going out to the Halloween party, but I was glad I stayed home. Although I couldn't do anything, the update was nice.

My hand moved to the necklace around my neck instinctively and I sighed. Who would've ever thought we'd be here? I went from saying that in my wedding vows to saying it alone in an empty mansion.