99. 𝑆𝑒𝑒 𝑌𝑜𝑢 𝐴𝑔𝑎𝑖𝑛

Xavier

Our steps up the wide driveway slowed as we looked at Lucifer emerging from the forested perimeter of the property with Genesis and James at his side. They must've gotten a call too. When James' eyes landed on me, a wide grin spread across his face and I saluted him before returning a smile of my own. It wasn't like he and I were estranged at all- the three of us had him on the weekends.

He tore away from the pair before jogging over to Cleo and me. Cleo let go of my hand and opened her arm for him. He stepped into it like he always did, holding her hand over his shoulder as they walked. I tucked my hands into my pockets, letting the two stride ahead of me.

"I left my airplane set at your house," I heard James say to her.

"Don't worry, boo. The kids didn't touch it- I put it back on the desk in your room," she assured him. "I was super careful."

"Thank you." I smiled at the interaction, knowing it'd probably be the last good moment we'd have before we stepped into this place. I didn't know what was going on at all, but it couldn't be good. Syn wasn't even the one who called us.

As we stepped onto the stairs heading to the porch, Lucifer and Gen caught up, hand in hand. Lucifer gave me a nod and Gen let go of his hand, giving me a quick hug before doing the same with Cleo.

After Syn swore them off, things were rocky with all of us. Part of me blamed them for him slipping into his drug habit, but that wasn't fair— we each played a part. Every day that passed that we didn't notice, that part grew. And so did our guilt, especially mine. I should've known.

When I was having my issues with Capxica, he was the first and only person to realize it. I should've recognized the signs— the sudden mania followed by instant lows and depression. All the signs were there...but hindsight was 20/20. I was so busy dealing with my own crap that the thought of him needing someone wasn't something that ever crossed my mind.

He was Syn. None of us ever thought he'd need anything.

"Where's Cas?" Gen asked.

"Someone had to stay with the kids," Cleo replied. "So the two of us came tonight to see what's going on. If it's serious, he'll find a sitter."

Lucifer stepped forward, knocked on the front door, and sighed. "Does anyone know why we're here?"

"The guy didn't tell you on the phone?"

He shook his head, glancing back at me. "No. He told you?— who is he anyway?"

I shook my head. "He just told us to come to this address and that Syn needed our help."

"Same." He nodded. "Except, he told me to come alone. These two overheard and wouldn't let me leave unless I let them come."

"I was worried." Gen hit his arm and he rolled his eyes. "Here they come."

I looked at her in confusion for a moment before hearing the door unlock. A man stepped out once the door was opened, but to our surprise...instead of letting us in, he closed the door behind him. His eyes quickly scanned all of us before he clasped his hand together. "Hi, I'm Paris— the one that called."

"Paris what?" Lucifer raised a brow.

"Paris will suffice," the man replied with a curt nod before glancing down at Genesis and James. He let out a small laugh as he pointed toward the both of them, shaking his head. "This isn't good. There is a reason I asked you to come alone—"