9. 𝐹𝑎𝑙𝑙 𝐼𝑛 𝑌𝑜𝑢

November 2, 2021

Syn

I groggily shifted on my bed and groaned as I woke up from my sleep. I frowned at the faint dream I had but couldn't remember and sat up in the bed. I expected to feel as tired as I normally did when I woke up, but I didn't. There was a new refreshing feeling sitting in me. There was no tiredness or headaches. I was just...fine.

I glanced at the clock to see that it was 5 am and I rolled my eyes. I guess I didn't get as much sleep as I thought. Regardless of that, I felt okay so I got out of the bed and turned my light on before heading to the bathroom. I took off my jacket and my phone fell out and onto the floor with a loud clatter.

I was going to ignore it and continue getting ready to shower, but when I moved to my pants, my eyes fell on my phone screen. My eyes zeroed in on the date and my head spun. November 2nd?! The last thing I remembered was the Halloween party, so did I really sleep for two days? I picked up my phone immediately and saw that I had several missed calls from everyone. The most being from Hades and D most likely wanting to discuss why I hadn't made it to any meetings or work.

"What the fuck," I whispered as I thought back to that night. The fact that I had managed to sleep for almost two days was something that I couldn't grasp. I didn't recall having any nightmares or dreams about a past I wished didn't exist. The only lingering thought on my mind when I woke up was Queen.

Granted, I thought about her all that time, but this was different. As if my memories of her were wrapped around me like some security blanket, I didn't think bad thoughts. Only good ones, about her.

January 28, 2017

I shuffled around in bed, not being able to go to sleep. I was still on guard after everything that happened tonight. The thought of someone coming here to hurt anyone in the house wasn't what kept me up though. It was the kid a few doors down from me, and the woman sleeping in the room opposite to me.

Every move she seemed to make in her bed echoed through my door and to my ears. How could I peacefully sleep when she was making so much noise?

I had to admit that she was beginning to get under my skin. I was annoyed that I even let her look at me the way that she did. Unlike everyone else's stares, hers wasn't one of fear or anger...it looked like curiosity. There was obviously something else, but I had no idea what to call it or what it was.

I closed my eyes at the sound of her soft snores and sighed. She was even annoying while she was sleeping. Frustration roamed through my body like a disease and I pushed the blankets off of me and sat up in the bed. This wasn't going to work.

The need to somehow get closer to her was becoming overpowering and I hated every fucking second of it. I needed to get away from her before I did something I'd regret, and I needed to do it now.

I rushed out of the room and walked into the dark living room. It was empty as I expected since it was the middle of the night and I lowered myself to the couch with a sigh. The quiet and darkness in the living room let me relax on the couch and I lay back and closed my eyes. I felt myself drift off into sleep until I heard an opening of a door in the corridor. Completely alert and on guard, I looked towards the corridor and waited for whoever it was.

When I saw Queen round the corner, I rolled my eyes. Her arms were flailing in the dark as she tried to take small steps and I shook my head.