22. 𝐽𝑢𝑠𝑡 𝑇ℎ𝑖𝑠 𝑂𝑛𝑐𝑒

May 3, 2023

Syn

Keep driving, I told myself...I took a deep breath as my eyes zeroed in on the empty road. My knuckles went white at the grip of my hand on the steering wheel but my hold on it was the only thing keeping me from turning the car back around.

A few months after Queen left— when I had close tabs on her and still knew where she was...I had seen her on the media with the guy. Luxury dinners, pictures of them walking together and laughing were posted on gossip magazines and the internet. Just available for anyone to look at.

Which I did.

Along with a lot of research. Even if she wasn't with him, I wanted to know who was around my son. I had almost an entire year to get used to the fact that she was beginning to see people and I took on hobbies that let me release the pent-up frustration from seeing her move on. Less than legal activities obviously, but it was better than coming to Earth and just killing the guy.

All my preparation and numbness to her rendezvous was useless tonight. I was fine when I saw him there. Perhaps a little bit peeved, but I wasn't going insane. What truly drove me over the edge was seeing Queen stand in front of him...against me. Like she would fight me to protect him.

Anger was a goddamn understatement to how I felt when I saw that. I wanted to snuff the light out of his existence and fuck the memory of him out of Queen's mind.

The only thing that held me together was the fact that I wanted better for her— to be better for her. It was especially difficult considering old habits died hard and I was about to crash.

My skin heated, jitters beginning to roll through my body like waves. I rolled down the window and let the cool air fill the room before I let out a long breath. This was always the worst part; when it was fading away. I'd be on top of the world, being able to manage whatever was going on but when it wore off I'd feel like utter shit.

That was one thing about drugs.

They were temporary, but the feelings and pain you'd try to avoid would always be there in the end. And right now they were here, pushing me to return to the very monster that I was trying so hard to keep away from Queen and Saint.

I drove into the parking garage of the condo and rushed out of the car, my head feeling faint as I locked the door and sped to the elevator. As doors opened, I walked in and pushed the button to my floor, and tapped my foot impatiently as it slowly ascended.

After what felt like a century, they dinged open and I stepped into the open foyer.

"Where were you?" Hades asked, his legs crossed as he read a book by the fireplace.

"Don't worry about it," I muttered as I headed towards the kitchen. I flipped on the light and grabbed a couple of bottles of water before crossing the living room to head up the stairs.

"I hope you didn't go and—"

"I said don't worry about it, Hades."

"You went to go see her, didn't you?" I paused on the steps at his words and slowly turned around. How did he— "You're very predictable when she comes in the picture. I had an inkling we came here for her so I called her when you still hadn't come back and she said you just left."

"Hades," I started with a sigh. "...and I mean this in the most respectful way, okay?" He set down his book and looked at me. "Fuck off. What I do is none of your concern and I advise you back off the next time you get the urge to play parent with me. You know I don't even talk to my own."