17. 𝐻𝑜𝑝𝑒 𝐶𝑟𝑢𝑠ℎ𝑒𝑑, 𝑆𝑝𝑖𝑟𝑖𝑡 𝐵𝑟𝑜𝑘𝑒𝑛

May 3, 2023

Syn

I glared across the kitchen counter at Stella and she avoided my eyes like the plague. She focused on cutting her waffles as if she hadn't ruined everything and I wanted to stab her with the fork in my hand. "What the fuck are you doing?" I said in a harsh whisper.

"Cutting waffles."

"Stella," I warned threateningly.

"What? She's the love of your life, isn't she?"

"What does that have to do with you?" She flinched at my harsh tone, but quickly recovered and flipped her hair over her shoulder. Her manicured hands picked up a piece of a waffle before placing it into her mouth and I rolled my eyes.

"I just wanted to see what she was like," she said. "Everyone speaks so highly of her and you're obsessed...I want to see if she's worth all the chatter and ruckus."

I heard Queen's footsteps coming down the stairs and I shot Stella a warning look. "Do some dumb shit and I will kill you." She froze, a strawberry about to go into her mouth as her eyes widened at my threat. I gave her one last look before Queen entered the kitchen, and I looked down at my plate.

"Were you able to make your calls?" Stella asked her.

"Yes, I was." Queen passed her the cellphone and sat down on the side of the table adjacent to us both. "Thanks for letting me use your phone."

"Of course, your phone is on the charger in the living room. So whenever you want it..."

"Thank you," Queen whispered.

"Can I get you coffee or anything to drink?"

"No, I'm fine." They exchanged a smile and I shook my head slightly.

"I hope you enjoy the breakfast." Stella laughed. "I can't cook at all, but I followed a video, and nothing is burnt so I hope that means something."

"It looks amazing," Queen complimented her.

We ate in silence for what felt like hours and I sat through Stella attempting to make conversation with her. As I thought, Queen didn't share her same enthusiasm, but she remained nice.

"So," Stella spoke up after a long moment of silence. "Are you seeing anyone Queen?"

"Yes, but it's not official." My fork clattered to the plate at her confession and my chest caved in as my head swung in her direction. Our eyes locked and I could see the evil glint in hers as if she was trying to hurt me. How did we go from sharing our deepest secrets to this?

"Oooooh, that's exciting," Stella cooed in fascination. "How serious are the two of you?"

"Probably as serious as you and Syn." That line twisted the knife even further into me, pulled it out, and jammed it back into my chest s million times.

I knew I couldn't be upset that Queen had been with other guys. I had been with other women. I just never thought I'd have to hear or think about it. It was hypocritical of me to let it hurt me as much as it did, but I couldn't help it.

"We should all hang out sometime. Like a double date." Queen's eyes were still locked onto mine as Stella's suggestion floated into the air and I shook my head. Please don't, Princess.

"That sounds fun," Queen said as she looked back at Stella and smiled at her.

"Great, I'll plan it and send you the deets!" Stella clapped her hands together and stood up from her seat. "I have a meeting so I'll be leaving you all. Enjoy the rest of your breakfast." She took her plate to the sink and kissed me on the cheek before I could push her away. I buried my face into my hands as her heels retreated out of the house.